"To teach is to learn twice." - my Personal Statement

o_dartey 1 / -  
"To teach is to learn twice." Joseph Joubert quote as sharpened my life over the years by teaching others whatever I have learnt and it has helped me to learn a lot. In this regard I have found myself into training and providing business solutions over the past five years with Excellence Consultancy Services, a company registered in Ghana with the specialty in training in Ms. Excel under the brand name APPLIED-EXCELŽ.

I am a Ghanaian, currently working with Excellence Consultancy services Ltd as a Senior Consultant and hold a bachelor of accounting degree from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA).

I have taken into account several considerations before applying for postgraduate studies at the University of Greenwich. The prime motivation is the academic environment that the university provides. It is among the best and I would consider myself privileged if I can do my graduate studies in such an environment. One of the major motivating factors for my decision to take up higher studies in Management of Business Information Technology has been the business essence of the subject; the other is the practical side of system analysis as a tool for solving problems arising in computer systems.

I enjoy training and providing solutions. I have found myself training varied local and multi-national companies in the use of Ms. Excel as a tool to provide solutions in data analysis, financial modeling, database management, decision making and project evaluation and also provide specialized business solutions by developing software's such as Payroll Management System, Multiple Bank Account Cashbook System, Licensed Buying Payment System, Human Resource Management Database and Shipping Tracking System.

Some companies that have benefited from training and business solutions are Nestle Central West Africa Region, Tullow Ghana Ltd, Cocoa Marketing Company (Ghana), Ministry of Food & Agriculture (Ghana).

Having worked extensively with Ms. Excel, I have realized that Ms. Excel has a limitation in managing large volumes of data, security wise it is not safe since it works just as a file and can easily be deleted.

It is for this reason that is why I am applying for the Management of Business Information Technology, which will broaden my understanding in using more programmable languages to enhance my already understanding in systems development.

Going through the contents under the program, areas to be touched on such as Applications Development, Systems Planning and Management, Systems Analysis and Database Management will equip me to move away from just using Ms. Excel to provide solutions.

My interest in IT came about while pursuing my undergraduate study in Accounting in the year 2005, having already gained a Diploma in HR (Personnel) Management from Cambridge International College, UK in 2003. Subjects such as Quantitative methods and MIS gave me a lot to think about while pursuing my accounting program. It gave me the opportunity to think mathematically and to fuse accounting and IT, hence having been providing business solutions.

Furthermore my understanding of Ms. Excel was deepened as I was engaged as an employee of the organization, which gave me the opportunity to undergo a lot of training. I also took part in trainings and sat in training sessions

In addition to these, I had a lot of exposure at my work place, exposing me to the practical aspect of IT, specifically Ms. Excel.

It has been my experience that some problems cannot be solved merely by using Ms. Excel. One of the motivating factors behind my graduate study is to equip myself ably to address such problems.

While emphasizing my interest on the application side, I do not wish to understate my appreciation of Theoretical Business Management. I believe that a sound theoretical background is necessary for a clear and thorough understanding of most IT problems.

I believe with a further study and specialty in my chosen field it will enable me provide a more in depth and tailored solutions to both the public and private organization back home in my country, Ghana.

Finally, it may be worthwhile to briefly mention that in considering my choice of graduate school, University of Greenwich stood tall among the list, offering a good environment for study and culturally relating to other nationals very well.
DrMre 1 / 2  
the first paragraph is to vague and does not use proper language, other than that the rest of the paragraphs flow and tie into each other goodluck

Home / Graduate / "To teach is to learn twice." - my Personal Statement