Technology Commercialization; Motivation Letter- Masters;Innovation Management

fathiro 1 / 1  
Hello all, This is my first experience posting my essay in this forum.
This is my motivation letter for master degree admission to TU/e. They require me to write 1000 words essay about:

"Your reason for choosing this Master's program
Your reason for choosing the TU/e
How does your choice of Master's program fit in your career plans?
In what way are you a suitable candidate for this Master's program?"

Hope you can review and give some feedback to improve my motivation letter :).

Dear Sir/madam
During my internship in Center for Technology Diffusion Policy, I was amazed by the fact that Indonesia's Global Innovation Index is ranked at 100th among 141 countries. Indonesia has a low score in Business sophistication aspect and market sophistication aspect. It is mean that all this time Indonesia's economy mostly driven by natural resource exploitation without further effort to create more value through innovation. Based on my involvement in University's innovation laboratory and national research center, I believe Indonesia did not lack of brilliant or creative people that able to invent an innovative product. However, most of university or research center in Indonesia do not have sufficient capability to bring their invention into marketable product. Many of their invention ended in scientific publication without wider application. I believe commercialization is the core of innovation because it can only become valuable when it has been distributed and omnipresent through commercialization.

Studies about innovation management and technology commercialization have not become popular studies in Indonesia. My university initiated engineering management department, which became the first engineering management program in South East Asia. This department aims to accommodate the needs of engineer that focused on creating innovative product and system. In order to escalating the quality of this new department, it needs more academicians with deep knowledge on technology and innovation management. By continuing my study, I will be able to devote myself as an academician in my University. Furthermore, I will have the skills to help my department in developing technology and innovation management studies, to review existing innovation system in my university and government institution, or propose new ones.

The best way to achieve this is by having a Master's degree in innovation management, giving emphasis to technology commercialization. Curriculum that being offered by TU Eindhoven's master program of Innovation management goes in line with my background and ambition. This program provides knowledge and skills about managing and designing innovation process in effective and efficient manner. Furthermore, this program has a specialization in Technology Commercialization and Entrepreneurship. In my perspective, combination between technology commercialization with Entrepreneurship by creating a start-up business is the best way to commercialize research product. I believe Technopreneurship can stimulate more innovation, employment, and profit for a country.

TU Eindhoven is one of the best technological universities in Europe that have a good linkage with industry. Based on TU/e location in one of the top three technology-intensive regions in Europe, it will lead to real state-of-the-art knowledge under collaboration with industries. TU/e also has Innovation lab that foster start-up or spin-off company and promote knowledge transfer from university to industry. Studying in TU/e will give me an understanding about TU/e's concept of technology clustering and technology incubator that can be implemented in my University. Furthermore, TU/e provide ALSP scholarship that gives an opportunity to work with Industry. I believe this is the best opportunity for me who have a dream to be an academician. Experience in working with the industries will improve my teaching quality by connecting the theory with the real application in industry.

In my personal perspective, I have many reasons to believe that I will be the best candidate for this master program. My bachelor degree in Engineering Management will make an advantage for me while taking this master program. From my bachelor degree I gain abilities to understand complex technological process and the art of management. It also provides me a good grasp of mathematics and familiarity with the analytical approaches contained in both science and economics-based. Currently my GPA until 7th Semester is xx/4.00 and rank at the 4th among 42th students. It is solid evidence that show my excellence in my previous degree.

Furthermore, during my bachelor degree I involved in many organizations and community development activities to sharpen my soft skills. I lead National Issue Division at Industrial Engineering Students Organization that trains me to be more critical with government policies. Moreover, this experience made me gets used to involve in discussion and convey an argument. During my college, I also involved as a lecture Assistant at Innovation and Organization Development Laboratory. Being a lecture assistant gives me solid skill in conducting research and teaching students. My professional experience as an engineer emerges while I did Internship in Center for Technology Diffusion Policy. During the Internship I was responsible to conduct a research about Technology Readiness Level in two national R&D departments and make a brief analysis for the result. The internship not only provided me an experience of working with professional scientist and engineer, but also gave basic knowledge about technology transfer and diffusion.

After completing my master degree, I will return to Indonesia to devote myself as an academic staff in my university. It will lead me to have full responsibility to deliver teaching materials to engineering management students. Beside of teaching and conducting research, I will contribute for the university by mentoring students who want to create new start-up company entrepreneurship to fostering entrepreneurship in my university. Moreover I will contribute to increasing the university's innovation capabilities by propose new concept of innovation system and management to provided qualified commercialization support for university research. While doing these, I will seek for the closest opportunity to get a PhD qualification.

In closing, obtaining a master degree in Innovation Management will not only affect my personal capacity building, but also will be the key for me to undertake full responsibility as an academician: to spread knowledge through academic lectures, to develop it by conducting researches, and to be of service for the community and my country, which being called as "Tri Darma" (Three Obligations) for academicians in Indonesia
Indonesia has a low score in Business sophistication aspect and market sophistication aspect.

Indonesia has a low score in the aspects of Business and Market sophistication.

It is mean that all this time Indonesia's economy mostly driven by natural resource exploitation without further effort to create more value through innovation.

It means that all this time Indonesia's economy had mostly been driven by natural resource exploitation without any further effort to create more value through innovation.

I believe Indonesia did not lack of brilliant or creative people that able to invent an innovative product.

.... people who are capable of inventing innovative products.
OP fathiro 1 / 1  
Thank's dumi..
Appreciate your correction :)
Studies about innovation management and technology commercialization have not become popular studies in Indonesia.

Study fields such as innovation management and technology commercialization are not yet popular in Indonesia.

My university initiated engineering management department, which became the first engineering management program in South East Asia.

This line comes abruptly without having a link to the previous idea. I guess you better establish some link between the two lines. Connect this idea with the previous one :)

This department aims to accommodate the needs of engineer that focused on creating innovative product and system. In order to escalating the quality of this new department, it needs more academicians with deep knowledge on technology and innovation management.

It is not very clear as to why you suddenly start talking about this department .... Better bridge the gap :)

Home / Graduate / Technology Commercialization; Motivation Letter- Masters;Innovation Management