Texas State university; Nurse Practitioner Entrance Essay - It takes a lot of confidence...

DDivine08 1 / -  
I am applying for MSN NP and getting into Texas State university is very competitive. This is my first time writing an essay. It just feels and looks I really need some guidance to make it sound convincing and thorough.

Your persuasive personal essay must address the following 3 questions:
1. What is a Family Nurse Practitioner?
2. Discuss a current Advanced Practice Nurse issue.
3. What will you do with your Advanced Practice Nurse degree?
OPTIONAL:
4. Is there information about yourself that you would like the Committee to know about that is not
otherwise explained or addressed in this application? Please briefly explain.

Persuasive Personal Essay Format:
- Written using APA 6th edition
- At least 150 words in length and double spaced; 3 page maximum
- Written in first person
- Do not include other personal identifying items in your essay

Your persuasive personal essay will be scored by the Admission Committee for the following:
- Completeness and organized
- Spelling and grammar
- Readability with clear, concise and well developed paragraphs that answer all 6 questions
thoroughly while following the instructions

Here we go:

Growing up with 5 siblings, I witnessed that my parents went through hardship getting my brothers and sister to college. Because I am adventurous and always willing to learn, I wasn't going to let our financial situation be an obstacle to achieve my dream. I was aware that it wasn't my time so I had to wait. Opportunity knocked and my aunt, who is also a nurse in New Jersey, offered to help me with my education as long as I went into nursing. It was not my first choice nor did I ever picture myself to be one. But I let the opportunity in and didn't expect that it will change my life and my future. I believe in the saying "Everything happens for a reason". I didn't expect to love nursing as much as I do now. Building a relationship with your patients is priceless. To be trusted of their health, life and personal secrets is an honor.

I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter, I was on my last term and still working. During my rounds, I found my patient unresponsive, not breathing. As an experienced nurse, my instinct told me to start CPR. As the rest of the code blue team arrived, I was relieved from doing the CPR and that was the only time I realized about my condition. I put myself out there to save someone's life without thinking that I could lose my baby. It takes a lot of confidence and commitment to be a nurse and I am pround to be one.

Every time I go to the hospital, it feels like going to my second home and my coworkers and patients are my second family. It is my responsibilty to make everybody feel safe and provide a healthy environment. My experience with my patients over the years is a continuous journey which helps me better understand that they are unique individuals with unique needs. Through my strong personality, experience in critical care unit, advanced skills and knowledge, I am confident that my patients will stay safe and will maintain their well being under my care as a Nurse Practitioner.

I've been wanting to further my education for many years and this time, another opportunity is knocking at my door. I want to be the most effective Nurse Practitioner as I can be. I understand that this program can be challenging and intense but just like other hardships and struggles in the past, I believe I can be the best in what I do. Through Texas State University's St. David's School of Nursing, I will be given the chance to be more efficient and skilled in my chosen field. I want to be an important part of the community and be a primary caregiver who has the autonomy to diagnose, prescribe and manage the overall care of a patient. Critical skill, commitment, and dedication are the key to becoming a successful NP. My confidence, honesty, and integrity will guide me to achieve my goal.

The demand for primary care services is growing incredibly. Advanced Nursing Practice is becoming one of the fastest growing healthcare professions that help meet the healthcare needs but there are some issues involving advanced nurse practice. Lack of knowledge in a Nurse Practitioner's scope of Practice has been identified as one of the barriers to successful collaborate tion. Restrictive scope of practice may lead to restrictive payer policies which limits Nurse Practitioner's ability to practice independently. The goal of healthcare is to provide patients better care, better health and make healthcare affordable. I believe that to be a part of the Nurse Practitioner community I can be an instrument in breaking and eliminating the barrier to independent practice which is an important element of practicing superior primary care.
Lynn88Mr 1 / 16 8  
Hi Divina. I really enjoyed reading your essay. However, I realized you are mainly focusing on yourself instead of answering the three main questions from the requirements. The committee want to know whether you are having the right skill and knowledge to pursue a master degree and whether you are aware of the current issues in the Advance Nurse Practice field. I believe you have to support your statements by citing a source from journals or textbooks as they need you to write in APA 6th Edition.

You need to define the first question in your point of view and explain further on what you know about the topic. Next, try to elaborate your essay more for the second and third questions by giving specific details on the issue and you specific plan after obtaining the degree. For example, the organization that you wish to involve with or your improvement plan in your current workplace. These points will show your skills and knowledge as the right candidates for the course. Be more specific instead of explain in general term since a master degree will help you to upgrade your knowledge and skills in details. Then, for the last paragraph, you can explain the reasons why you are the suitable candidate for this course and what had inspired you in choosing this major.

I think that's all for my part. I hope this will help you a little bit to get some idea on how to construct your essay. Good luck ! ^^

Home / Graduate / Texas State university; Nurse Practitioner Entrance Essay - It takes a lot of confidence...