"Three aspects'" - Self introduction for master's degree interview

Zavy 1 / 2 1  

'I will introduce myself in three aspects'

Hello, everyone
I'm about to attend an interview for master's degree, and the following is my self-introduction. Please help me polish it and give your advice.

Thank you!

Dear professors, good morning! Thanks for giving me the honor to be here for this interview. My name is Zavy, I was born in Hefei, the capital of Anhui Province. Currently I am pursuing my bachelor's degree at Shandong University, majoring in Microelectronics Science and Engineering.

In the following, I will introduce myself in three aspects.

First, since I entered college four years ago, I have conducted many experiments in Microelectronics, which aroused my passion for this major. One of the most unforgettable experiments is a project I finished on my EDA class, when I saw it working on the development board, I felt great joy and wanted to learn more in this field. Then I realized that a bachelor's degree is not enough, so I chose to go further to achieve a master's degree in Microelectronics.

Second, during my learning in Quantum Mechanics, I wrote an essay titled Some Studies on the AdS/CFT Correspondence, trying to explain the origin, development and applications of a significant research in string theory. This article helped me gain some insights into the complete process of writing a paper, and prepared me for the future academic research.

Last but not least, I would like to devote myself to Chinese Microelectronics industry, but I know a postgraduate cannot contribute much in this large subject. Therefore, I just hope to work on a small field in it, such as Radio Frequency IC, MEMS and so on.

If I got the chance to achieve the master's degree here, I would spare no efforts to complete the courses, do researches and publish papers under the guidance of my supervisor.

That's all, thanks for your attention!
Consider a more relaxed approach to the interview. Just talk about yourself casually. Keep the respectful tone but don't come across as so mechanical that you need to outline and numerically list your discussion points. Use transition presentations. Be conversational. Don't just pound the interviewer with information. Present the topic, discuss, allow the interviewer a chance to ask you follow up or clarification questions, then transition to the next aspect of your discussion presentation. Unfortunately, you cannot really predict the questions that would possibly be asked in the interview so you need to be prepared for the unexpected. If you over prepare and you rely too much on your notes for the interview, you will eventually fall apart and start rambling during the interview or, you won't have a prepared response for an unexpected question. If you really want to practice, then write down the questions that you think will be asked, then consider what follow up questions might be used and prepare answers for that. Expand on your current responses if you have to. You cannot keep the introduction this short and data based. You need to sound like a human being, not a research paper.
OP Zavy 1 / 2 1  
Thank you for the advice! I'll try to revise it.
emmawattson 2 / 4 1  
I think that you should add the data you wrote this letter and tell more about the purposes and the reason why you write it.

Home / Graduate / "Three aspects'" - Self introduction for master's degree interview