UCD (User Centered Design) Certificate Application Essay

shens2 1 / -  
Requirements:
250 words Maximum, descring
1. Relevant work and volunteer experience and/or transferable skills and knowledge of the field
2. How you expect the program will help you meet your professional goals
_________________________________________________________________ _______________

Coming from a mix of technical and research background, my career has been focusing in the web analytic and development field. I value and take pride in my development skills because I can think in a developer hat, and I can actually bring my own design to life without going through another developer.

However, as I transitioned myself as a developer to work for different startup companies, I realized that oftentimes these companies don't have the budget to hire additional designers or researchers, and I tend to be in charge of the overall design process.

I started to design UI, interview stakeholders, conduct focus groups to gather user requirements, and produce deliverables to communicate ideas to stakeholders and customers. I found myself doing what UX professionals do in a daily basis, and I very much enjoy it. As a result, I decided to pursue further education from SVC to learn more about user experience, and I fell in love with UX design right after I launched my first Axure prototype online.

Currently, I am in possession of a full-time offer to become a junior front-end developer. After much reflection, however, I realize that my passion belongs to the users. I have much to learn about HCI, and graduate work with HCI professionals is the best way to build a strong foundation. I believe after completion of this certificate program, I will rejoin this industry with a vision to make life easier for you, the users.
vietfun2k 9 / 47 1  
Coming from a mix of technical and research background, I have focused my career in web analytic and development. I value and take pride in my development skills because I can think in a developer hat, and I can actually bring my own design to life without going through another developer.

However, as I transitioned myself as a developer to work for different start-up companies, I realized that often these companies don't have the budget to hire additional designers or researchers, and I tend to be in charge of the overall design process. (This is very unclear to me? Plus this paragraph only contains 1 sentence.)

I started to design UI, interview stakeholders, conduct focus groups to gather user requirements, and produce deliverables (?) to communicate ideas to stakeholders and customers. I found myself doing what UX professionals do on a daily basis, and I very much enjoy it. As a result, I decided to pursue further education from SVC to learn more about user experience, and I fell in love with UX design right after I launched my first Axure prototype online.

Currently, I am in possession of a full-time offer to become a junior front-end developer (do you mean you are currently working full-time as a junior...?). After much (deep?) reflection, however, I realize(d) that my passion belongs to the users. I have much to learn about HCI, and graduate work with HCI professionals is the best way to build a strong foundation. I believe after completion of this certificate program, I will rejoin this industry with a vision to make life easier for you, the users.

Home / Graduate / UCD (User Centered Design) Certificate Application Essay