Understanding neurogenic disorders. SOP - Applying for Masters in Speech Language Pathology.

yugi2429 1 / 2 2  

I've met different disorders

"My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit as well as physically." -Stephen Hawking

Always wondering and baffled while looking at people who stuttered, with just one thinking in mind, why can't they talk slowly which would make it easy for others to understand and for them to communicate effectively but never did I know that the main cause of stuttering could range from heredity to stress to even neurogenic disorders such as stroke. My grandmother was diagnosed with Dementia/Alzheimer's. I knew it was about the memory but always wondered why her speech got altered as she would never communicate. During this time, it was mere curiosity that was building up.

Coming to United States for Bachelors was itself a big leap, to encounter the different dialects/accents that were used to speak a single common language. The language that I spoke since years, seemed much different when communicating with colleagues. No sooner did I learn that there was a term called the "accent reduction", therapy carried out specially to reduce one's thick accent. This specifically grabbed my attention towards the speech, language and hearing field and made me start taking classes pertaining to the field like Introduction to speech and hearing sciences, Phonetics etc. After taking up this major, I was exposed to different aspects of communication such as disorders, connection between the ear, nose and throat, Functioning and working of the same, enhancing language etc. My first lecture, Phonetics, with Professor, Mary Lou Cancio provided the basic foundation of language and speech. In the most interesting and exciting way I learnt that Place, Manner and voicing were the basics of speech. Due to these fundamentals the correct pronunciation could be learnt. Using the knowledge learned in phonetics and putting it into use/experimenting with it was a daily notion which not only helped me reduce my thick accent but it was easier for me to communicate with my colleagues and built up confidence and interested me to learn further in detail.

I was able to understand the working, the connection and every other minute details of the functioning of the ears, nose and throat from Anatomy and physiology class taught by Prof Sabrina Ni. And the most interesting subject Neurology, taught by Dr. Roberts, was the one that exposed me to a whole different world where the different disorders, were spoken and very well explained. Another interesting Subject, Audiology with Dr. Cavazos, not only helped learn the medical aspects of hearing loss but it gave me the practical knowledge due to the observations and lab work.

Towards the last semester, I was able to acquire a job as a vocational job coach with Wayfinders-which is a non-profit organization affiliated/part of California State University, Fresno. My duty as a job coach made me gain, hands on experience with intellectual and developmental disability. I have learnt and grown with knowledge given by my mentor, Leslie Shirakawa, who has always been there to guide me with the methods/ways to tackle/handle situation and support the students in a way that would be easier for them to understand and follow. Her idea of letting me use my own way, helped me learn effective ways to communicate and device an algorithm for the students to help them solve situations, understand work ethic and most importantly being independent. This job made me ardor, working with adults with disabilities. It was more of a challenge to make them achieve their goals in a short stipulated semester time that they had at a particular job. I was able to understand the different disorders ranging from Williamsons disease, ASD, Phenylketonuria, Hurlers syndrome, Dyspraxia, Dysarthria, Dysphagia etc. due to these adults and could understand the details about the disorders by observing in person and learned through daily conversations and being around them.

After graduating with Bachelors in Speech language pathology, I was able to be a part of "A is for Apple", a company which provides service on the autism spectrum, as an ABA therapist. I was introduced to kiddos who were barely two years old which shook me as I had been amongst the adult group so far. Having my first session with a severely autistic Kiddo, in addition with Apraxia of the mouth was a challenge to me. Everyday I get to learn new things about/from him. It is always interesting to see his ORAL PLACEMENT THERAPY (OPT) everyday, which is done to stimulate his motor skills for speech. Not just this but being autistic, I get to see various behaviors everyday. And I have successfully learned the different ways that help to calm him down. His anxiousness, his jumping, his hyper behavior all are for a reason which he portrays as expressions that he wants to feel or convey. Working with him, has made me go deep with the ASD topic providing me knowledge about tactile approaches, sensory tools (different shaped straws used to drink water) that help to calm the behaviors and stimulate motor movements.

Being with varied age groups with different disorders has made me grow to a level where stressful situations could be dealt with and deadlines are always met. It is always challenging since you are not aware of what behavior could be encountered but have to be able to tactfully reason them out.

Being in this surrounding for about a year and a half to two years, with age groups ranging from two to twenty seven has helped me gain an overall idea and good experience when it comes to disorders, speech, Autism Spectrum etc. which has finally made me to understand that Speech language and hearing is something that I am really inclined towards and would want to expand my knowledge by learning more. By graduating with master in Speech language and hearing I am keen on working as a Medical speech therapist with specifications in topics like neonatal swallowing disorders, Apraxia, Stroke victims, cancer victims etc. I have loved working with the kiddo's since its more challenging and gets you to keep thinking into different techniques to work with them, but I would want to work with the older population since I also want to gain knowledge about the effects on throat due to substance abuse, for those who are cancer victims and stroke patients.

I have understood that your university is respected for the neurogenic disorders and It would an excellent platform to gain knowledge specific to the interest.
Yugi, we need to better organize the content of your essay. The presentation is too scattered and does not offer a clear or chronological presentation of your abilities, education, and experience in relation to the masters program that you wish to participate in. At this point, the reviewer will definitely get confused if he tries to review the essay.

For your opening paragraph, you can present a summary of how you developed an interest in Speech Language Pathology. Not as long as the one you have now, but rather, a simple anecdote that clearly shows why you developed a desire to help these people. Don't be too detailed in the story. Just present the basic facts. This is not a biography.

The second paragraph, should best concentrate on the presentation of your academic background. Mention your college degree, where you earned it, and what year you graduated. If you have any notable achievements, be it in terms of your research paper, academic excellence, or internship experience, mention it here. Right now, your reference to this is located in various portions of the paper. Try to work towards a concise essay that keeps all related information within a single paragraph.

Your work experience is something that should only be altered by removing the reference to graduating before working. That is a given. There is no need to be specific about it. Finally, close the essay by explaining why you were drawn to the masters program of this particular university. It could be based on learning from specific professors or the training that the students receive, or it could really just be an academic admiration for the university. Close by reiterating your desire to complete your masters degree under their tutelage.
OP yugi2429 1 / 2 2  
Thank you so much for the feedback, will post the edited one soon.
OP yugi2429 1 / 2 2  

Always wondering and baffled while looking at people who stuttered, with just one thinking in mind, why can't they talk slowly which would make it easy for others to understand and for them to communicate effectively but never did I know that the main cause of stuttering could range from heredity to stress to even neurogenic disorders. My grandmother was diagnosed with Dementia/Alzheimer's. I knew it was about the memory but always wondered why her speech got altered as she would never communicate. It was hard to understand. I was majorly concerned about my thick accent but "accent reduction" played an important role and helped me cope up with the same. These exposures, to the different aspects of speech, narrowed my interest into the field of speech, language and pathology.

While doing my bachelors in speech, language and pathology, from California State University, Fresno, I started learning about different subjects related to speech like disorders, connection between the ear, nose and throat, Functioning and working of the same, enhancing language etc. My first lecture, Phonetics, with Professor, Mary Lou Cancio provided the basic foundation of language and speech. In the most interesting and exciting way I learnt that Place, Manner and voicing were the basics of speech. Due to these fundamentals the correct pronunciation could be learnt. Using the knowledge learned in phonetics and putting it into use/experimenting with it, was a daily notion which not only helped me reduce my thick accent but it was easier for me to communicate with my colleagues, build up confidence and eventually help me get better grades. I understood the working, the connection and every other minute details of the functioning of the ears, nose and throat from Anatomy and physiology class taught by Prof Sabrina Ni and Ericka Olsen. And the most interesting subject Neurology, taught by Dr. Roberts, was the one that exposed me to a whole different world where the disorders like dysphagia, apraxia, ASD were spoken and explained in detail. Another interesting Subject, Audiology with Dr. Cavazos, not only helped learn the medical aspects of hearing loss but it gave me the practical knowledge due to the observations and lab work in the on-site Clinic

Working as a vocational job coach with Wayfinders, a non-profit organization affiliated to California State University, Fresno, made me gain, hands on experience with intellectual and developmental disability. I have learnt and grown with knowledge given by my mentor, Leslie Shirakawa, who has always been there to guide me with the methods/ways to tackle/handle situation and support the students in a way that would be easier for them to understand and follow. Her idea of letting me use my own way, helped me learn effective ways to communicate and device an algorithm for the students to help them solve situations, understand work ethic and most importantly being independent. This job made me ardor, working with adults with disabilities. It was more of a challenge to make them achieve their goals in a short stipulated semester time that they had at a particular job. I was able to understand the different disorders ranging from Williamsons disease, ASD, Phenylketonuria, Hurlers syndrome, Dyspraxia, Dysarthria, Dysphagia etc. and could understand the details about the disorders by observing in person and learned through daily conversations and being around them. Observing younger children at the Addicott Elementary school - a school for children with severe disabilities, and United Cerebral Palsy helped me gain firm footing over behaviors of ASD, cerebral palsy and stroke victims.

I was able to be a part of "A is for Apple", a company which provides service on the autism spectrum, as an ABA therapist. Being introduced to kiddos who were barely two years old, shook me as I had been amongst the adult group so far. Having my first session with a severely autistic Kiddo, in addition with Apraxia of the mouth was a challenge to me. Everyday I get to learn new things about/from him. It is always interesting to see his Oral Placement Therapy (OPT) everyday, which is done to stimulate his motor skills for speech. Not just this but being autistic, I get to see various behaviors everyday. And I have successfully learned the different ways that help to calm him down. His anxiousness, his jumping, his hyper behavior all are for a reason which he portrays as expressions that he wants to feel or convey. Working with him, has made me go deep with the ASD topic providing me knowledge about tactile approaches, sensory tools (different shaped straws used to drink water) that help to calm the behaviors and stimulate motor movements.

Being in this surrounding for about a year and a half to two years, with age groups ranging from two to twenty seven has helped me gain an overall idea and good experience when it comes to disorders, speech, Autism Spectrum etc. which has finally made me to understand that Speech language and hearing is something that I am really inclined towards and would want to expand my knowledge by learning more. By graduating with master in Speech language and hearing I am keen on working as a Medical speech therapist with specifications in neonatal swallowing disorders, Apraxia, Stroke victims, cancer victims etc. I have loved working with the kiddo's since its more challenging and gets you to keep thinking into different techniques to work with them, but I would want to work with the older population since I also want to gain knowledge about the effects on throat due to substance abuse, for those who are cancer victims and stroke patients.

My work experience as an ABA therapist have burgeoned my confidence and interest in working with kids and adults. Being receptive to feedback; as it teaches and helps in improvising, and portraying immense dedication in acquiring extensive knowledge to be the best at what I do, showcases a strong side of me. I believe that I possess that understanding, professionalism, empathy and personal commitment to fulfil the coursework and clinic. I have decided to begin this invigorating and arduous path to make significant and fruitful contributions as a speech therapist. I strongly believe in my ability to meet the high standards of (university), with my enthusiasm and dedication. With the careful study of the speech, language and pathology department, I am able to conclude that (university) will provide me the knowledge and perfect environment to direct me towards my goals.

Home / Graduate / Understanding neurogenic disorders. SOP - Applying for Masters in Speech Language Pathology.