Understanding of Sociopolitical & Economic isses;AU/ MA in International Development

breanngala514 1 / 1  
Hello. This is a basic admissions prompt for an MA in International Development (in 800-1200 words describe your relevant academic, personal, and work experiences that qualify you, career objectives, and why you want to study at American University).

Economist Dani Rodrik poses the following question, "We live in a world where the reach of technology and markets are global, and yet more than a billion men, women, and children live in abject poverty, devoid of their benefits. How can that possibly be? In an age of plenty, what deprives people of adequate food, shelter, clean water, education, good health and enough income to live on with dignity?" While these questions drive academic research across numerous disciplines, the field of international development seeks to realize, creatively design, and implement solutions to urgent social, political, and economic issues. The applied and diverse nature of this discipline, combined with my formative personal, career, and academic experiences, have led me to seek admission into American University's School of International Service for a MA in International Development.

My perspective of the world has been greatly influenced by my immigrant father who exposed me to the contrasts of the modern world at a very young age. While my experiences in countries such as India and China were often jolting and upsetting, I also witnessed humanity on the edge; where marginalized and disenfranchised communities and societies struggle to survive, often as a result of Western policy and the global market. These encounters traveling from a suburban Southern California town to megacities, such as Mumbai, continue to inspire the academic and career goals and decisions I make.

During my undergraduate studies at UC Berkeley, I continually sought out ways to incorporate courses that could broaden my understanding of sociopolitical and economic issues. In order to develop and explore my interest in international development and policy, I chose to study at the National University of Singapore during my junior year. While living, studying, and traveling in Asia, I developed an interest in urban development. As poverty throughout South and East Asian countries increases with rapid urbanization, statistics suggest that one third of the world's population resides in slums. After seeing firsthand the deficiency of human rights in these environments, I hope for the opportunity to work for the progress of such excluded, disenfranchised groups.

Alongside studying at UC Berkeley, I have various employment experiences that make me a strong candidate and showcase my dynamic personality, interests, and abilities. Currently I am working as an Account Coordinator and Research Assistant for Auxilio Inc. in San Francisco, a consulting and management services company for US hospitals and healthcare systems. The account I help manage works i conjunction with the California Pacific Medical Center on a campaign to make their hospitals more sustainable and environmentally friendly. Being able to observe and work on a sustainability project has taught me problem solving skills, and further has increased my ability to creatively design and implement new ideas and procedures, a valuable asset for a career in international development. Similarly, witnessing the intersection between healthcare and the environment has reinforced my understanding of the complex relationship between the various dimensions affecting humanity today.

Prior to my current employment, I worked for an NGO in Gujarat, India, that focuses on improving healthcare in rural villages throughout the region. I took interest with working with the public health and education team because children are extremely vulnerable and helpless in impoverished communities, yet are expected to be our next generation of leaders and participating citizens. I will never forget a situation that happened on one of my first workdays. A young girl from the local village had abnormally poor health, low weight, and stunted growth, yet her brothers were all exceptionally healthy, tall, and robust. After struggling to discern this living paradox, a colleague informed me that most of these situations are a result of families having an inadequate amount of resources and following tradition to ensure the health of the males by jeopardizing the female's health. As we aimed to change these deeply embedded gender inequalities, my desire to reduce social inequalities so commonly tied to extreme poverty was greatly fueled. In addition, this experience has been exceptionally rewarding because I was given a window into the obstacles faced by small NGOs, and was challenged to live in a developing nation, often in substandard residences and without amenities.

Furthermore, my active interest in policy and human rights earned me an internship in the Community Affairs and Organizing Department at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Northern California. Being an active participant in mobilizing volunteers and the local community for social change has greatly influenced my desire to specialize in community development.

My initial interest in community development began with my research under Professors Christopher Ansell and Madeline Landau at UC Berkeley. This project strengthened my understanding of fiscal policy and the barriers created between community-based organizations and the communities they are intended to serve. My work of collecting data in the field led me to question and be intrigued by the institutional deficiencies and the role of the state and non-state players in communities.

Since the field of International Development is so extensive, I want to focus on the political economy of disenfranchised urban communities, particularly those residing in slums. While many of these areas are considered marginalized, I believe them to be vital pieces of the economy. The movement of globalization is only increasing the rate of urbanization and the importance of cities as nodes of finance, knowledge, and goods. This situation renders an opportunity to help growing urban communities claim their rights and secure their standing within the underground and global economy. I want to further research the strategies that communities and individuals use in order to survive and claim their space, rights, and dignity where these privileges are commonly excluded.

After much contemplation, I am ready to pursue a career in International Development and believe that this program is the means by which to fulfill my aspirations. The School of International Service at American University has an outstanding faculty that produces the research and teaches the subject matter relevant to my interests in urbanization in the Global South, local economic development, and community building
The applied and diverse nature of this discipline, combined with my formative personal, career, and academic experiences, have led me to seek admission into American University's School of International Service for a MA in International Development.

This sentence, like the whole first paragraph, is truly excellent writing, but I believe one more sentence should be added before ending the paragraph in order to SHARPEN the thesis. Right now, the thesis is broad and dull, referring generally to the notion that this school is good for someone with your experience, but you can add a sentence to express a bit about the main idea regarding HOW it is best.

I see that you cover this very well throughout the essay. Still, I think you should try to capture it in a sentence with a memorable phrase, and use that phrase both in the first and last paragraph. That is a great way to sharpen the theme/thesis.

:-)
OP breanngala514 1 / 1  
THANK YOU, KEVIN. I appreciate the feedback!

Home / Graduate / Understanding of Sociopolitical & Economic isses;AU/ MA in International Development