USC School of Architecture Master of Building Science Statement of intent

shinjini92 1 / -  
My association with architecture started since my childhood. Although, back then I did not understand the term "architecture", I was always into building or creating something beautiful, from trying to make miniature mud houses, to building a nest so that a bird may come and lay her eggs, to setting up elaborate tents using curtains, to imagining, drawing and painting futuristic homes for myself. As I grew older, I realised I enjoy creating spaces. A high school career aptitude test, too, revealed that architecture would be the ideal career choice for me.

Consequently, studying architecture was a natural choice; post my graduation from high school. Through my bachelor degree studies, I have gained the foundation necessary to place me in the Architecture field. My courses have provided me with knowledge of different design methods, a thorough understanding of building materials, and a theoretical knowledge of architectural history. I have also had some amount of professional experience through training in a leading architectural firm, in India during my 7th semester.

However, certain aspects remain elusive. The last few decades have seen rapid growth in the complexity of buildings and the development of specialized knowledge for their design and operation. The building profession now requires a wider range of expertise in not only architectural design, but also in a lot of associated technical fields such as innovative structural design, architectural services, lighting design etc. The rapid urbanisation in my country has resulted in a greater demand for high performing and sustainable buildings. Sustainability has become the need of the hour. Thus, it becomes even more essential to gain a thorough knowledge of the same.

Hence, the architect of today needs to have a comprehensive knowledge of these related aspects as well, along with understanding different architectural design principles and methods, and must understand the building to be an integration of both aesthetics as well as science. During the course of my study, however, I have had limited opportunity to study such technical subjects. As such, the USC School of Architecture Master of Building Science Program has a comprehensive curriculum and addresses these very subjects that will help me achieve this integration in my future designs.

At USC School of Architecture Master of Building Science Program, I hope to pursue my interest in researching newer, innovative building materials, climate responsive architecture and sustainable design practices. I am particularly interested in the program's advanced environmental systems and controls courses. I have tried to explore similar themes in my 5th semester design program, as well as in my 7th semester dissertation, where my topic was "Passive cooling techniques".

The USC School of Architecture has an international application and various concentrations and projects catering to my aforementioned interests, particularly the work of Dr. Joon-Ho Choi and BIM Analytics by Professor Karen Kensek. It will also provide me with the necessary knowhow of building services, structure and environmental systems, all of which are extremely important in designing for a better future. I want to apply and share my knowledge and experiences of growing up in a developing nation and the various challenges faced there in the building industry and search for effective solutions, get some work experience and finally implement them in my country.
As I grew older, I realised I enjoy creating spaces. A high school career aptitude test, too, revealed that architecture would be the ideal career choice for me.

You better have these two sentences connected, because they seem to be detached;
As I grew older I discovered my passion and talent for creating spaces. This was further revealed by the results of high school career aptitude test I took.

I think you have done a good job. Is there any word count limitation for this?

Home / Graduate / USC School of Architecture Master of Building Science Statement of intent