How to write a SOP for pursuing a master in computer engineering at University of South California?

jelif 1 / 3  
Hi there. I am currently writing my statement of purpose for computer enginering program in USC. I really need your help. Thank you for your great comments and generous feedbacks!

---------------------------------------

pursuing MS Computer Engineering in USC

Equipped with related background knowledge, strong passion for studying and rich project experience, I have the confidence that I am able to achieve more in the field of computer engineering. University of South California, which can give me a more comprehensive understanding of embedded systems, is just my dream destination. Therefore, after careful consideration, I intend to apply to the program of MS Computer Engineering at your university.

When I was sophermore, I seized a good opportunity to compete in Robot World Cup. I, along with my classmates and friends, spent a massive amount of time preparing for the competition. I was mainly responsible for implementing and simulating an improved Kalman filter algorithm in target tracking as well as improved part of the vision system of the Nao-robot. From the scratch, it was difficult for me since I knew nothing about these algorithms. In order to gain the basic knowledge, I read Robotics to learn about the architecture of humanoid robots and the code released by Behuman(one top team). Accompanied by successes and cheers, we finally ranked 9 among 30 powerful international teams. To some extent, this experience somehow unfolded my interest and ambition in research life.

The experience above confirmed my determination to pursue a master in computer engineering. Apart from robotics, I am also very interested in computer networks and embedded systems. I once took part in a project named Wifi-based Controlling system of a Quadrotor whose key issue was just about computer networks and embedded systems. From this project, I have a deeper understanding of the use of different peripherals in embedded system design. This contains data transfer between peripherals and processors, the setup of various modes for peripherals, and full use of the on-chip user manual. On the other part, the project helped me achieve UDP protocol in the development board, as well as the interconnection of development board and the computer through the network interface. In addition, my abilities of programming by C language and the establishment of embedded system were improved dramatically. Last but not least, I am a cool headed person with outstanding observation and analysis capabilities, and these advantages can ensure me to conduct researches smoothly. For instance, when there existing messy code, it was me who found out the error code after combing the problems with the program in the end.

Remarkably, when it came to the topic of intelligent control in class, which included the neural network algorithms and adaptive algorithms. Besides, my classmates and I once designed and built an intelligent water-cooling controlling system based on a specific chip and adaptive controlling systems. During this project, I was mainly responsible for the section of implementing temperature-aware adaptive algorithms and designing the working pipeline. The project not only enhanced my expertise in adaptive and intelligent control , but also trained my abilities of cooperation and research.

After four years' systematic learning on Automation, I become more willing and determined to pursue in-depth study in related computer engineering courses and to equip myself with advanced and specialized knowledge, which will surely assist me a lot in accumulating abundant knowledge reserve for my preferred future career as an qualified engineer. The research mode and rigorous academic atmosphere of U.S have drawn my attention and I wish that through the MS program, I could apply my learning into the creation of my own systems development, especially for the design and development of computer engineering.

The Computer Engineering program at your university is perfectly tailored for me. For example, the course EE561: Foundations of Artificial Intelligence taught by Professor Sheila Tejada would enable me to learn foundations of symbolic intelligent systems, search, logic, knowledge representation, planning and learning. The course CSCI551:Computer Networking could give me an overview of protocol design for computer communication networks, network routing, transport protocols and internetworking. These courses are very helpful for me to obtain a much more thorough insight of computer engineering.

The MS Computer Engineering in your university will build upon my existing knowledge in an environment that is international, one in which I can be challenged intellectually and socially, and think independently. Studying at your university will have significant meaning for my further career development. I would be grateful if you could consider my application and give me the chance to become a member of your community.
Slumar206 2 / 5  
@jelif
I like your essay, but in the third paragraph, I think you should change the first sentence to

... to pursue a masters degree in computer engineering.

Hope I am helpful.
Please help with my common app?
Xu, are you applying for graduate study courses immediately after graduating? The reason that I ask is because you are missing the most important element of a Statement of Purpose essay, that is the professional experience in relation to the development of your interest in this course. You see, the statement of purpose requires a professional connection with your studies in order to assure the reviewer that you are a student who will stay the full course and also have a professional necessity for the completion of the studies. Since the masters degree is used for knowledge transfer, it is imperative that you prove a professional background on your part. Basically, your SOP should contain the following information:

1. Your current work experience
2. The professional reasons why you require a graduate degree in this field. Make sure it connects to your work experience.
3. Explain if the course is relevant to a specific career plan or path for yourself and how it relates to your immediate and future career plans.

4. Justify your foundation in the course through a single paragraph summary of your college degree and awards or recognition received that show a clear practical talent in relation to the masters degree you have chosen.

Your final 2 paragraphs do not need to be changed because it perfectly sums up the requirements of a properly developed SOP. However, it should be combined into only one closing paragraphs since the SOP is considered complete within 500 words or 2 pages. So you need to combine information into paragraphs whenever possible. My listing provides you with the guideline regarding the missing elements of an effective statement of purpose. The reason part is the "purpose" of the essay so focus on developing that aspect as best as you can. Remember, the reviewer will appreciate short but informative paragraphs in relation to your SOP.
OP jelif 1 / 3  
@Slumar206
Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for your careful and detailed revision. I will upload my SOP soon after I reorganize and rewrite my sop. Thank you again!

Home / Graduate / How to write a SOP for pursuing a master in computer engineering at University of South California?