Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

Annotated Bibliography for "Affirmative Action in the Workplace"

slmcc1 3 / 1  
Annotated Bibliography for "Affirmative Action in the Workplace" - grammar check please too

Chavez, Linda. "No Thanks To Affirmative Action." American Enterprise Nov. 2002:34.

Business Source Premier. EBSCO Host. NCLIVE.

Linda Chavez a member of the Democratic staff of the House of Judiciary Committee in 1974, wrote the article. When Chavez was interviewing for a legislative assistant position at the House of Judiciary Committee, she perceived that the vulgar language from the new committee chairman was because of the affirmative action policy. Chavez didn't get the position and later left the House Judiciary Committee and joined the National Education Association. Chavez expresses her reasoning for not supporting the policy of affirmative action, because it discriminates against the white male. The author believes that affirmative action causes resentment when caucasian males are denied jobs, promotion, and in several cases admission to colleges. The author believes that the double standard in affirmative action does more harm mentally than good to the beneficiaries. Chavez illustrates that this policy can have a distasteful effect on minorities when racial preferences are used to qualify minority applicants. This article seemed to be on the biased side. This article will provide me with a rounded approach when describing the fairness of affirmative action.

Roach, Ronald. "Getting to the Truth." Diverse: Issue in Higher Education 30 Nov.

2006:24-28. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO Host. NCLIVE. 15 Nov. 2007.

In this particular article Ronald Roach gathers information from law professors to determine why there are so few minorities in elite law firms' upper management levels. Roach illustrates some collective data analyses from a law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), named Richard Sander. Mr. Sander's explains that the issue for the lack of minorities in elite law firms is because minorities are selected by racial preferences to attend elite law schools, and then they end up falling behind. Roach, however, gathers some opposing arguments on Mr. Sander analyses by law professors at Duke University, who are James E. Coleman and Mitu Gulati. They express that even though Sanders empirical analyses is impressive, it doesn't actually support the data that indicates why minorities are not in upper management levels at elite law firms. According to David B. Wilkins, who's a professor at the Harvard Law School, as saying, "Great lawyers are made, not born." The information that is provided from Ronald Roach is non-biased; and I will use this information in evaluating my opinion on how unequal training opportunities and mentoring can prevent minorities from excelling in the workplace.

Schmidt, Peter. "4 States Named as New Targets in Affirmative-Action Fight." Chronicle

of Higher Education 4 May 2007. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO Host. NCLIVE. 12 Nov. 2007.

The author of this article Peter Schmidt, is focused on evaluating the practices of Ward Connerly, a University of California regent who led the 1996 campaign that dismantled California's race and gender preference programs. Connerly, a prominent anti-affirmative action activist, is pushing for bans on racial, and ethnic preferences for public college admissions. He is also seeking these bans in other areas of public services in the states of Arizona, Colorado, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Connerly's group seeks to turn the November 4, 2008, election day into a super equal rights debate. His supporters also want to send a message about the unpopularity of the affirmative action policies to the nation's leaders. According to Mr. Connerly proposed ballots for the 4 states operative clause reads, the state shall not discriminate against or grant preferential treatment to any individual or group on basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting. I plan to use this article in my argument to build the case for the opposing side for affirmative action.

"Thurgood Marshall and Affirmative Action." Workforce Jan. 2002:44. Academic

Search Premier. EBSCO Host. NCLIVE. 18 Nov. 2007.

This article written by the Human Resource (HR) community at Workforce, re-instates the actual reason for the policy of affirmative action. The editors noted that the claim for affirmative action was intended to break the patterns and effects of slavery, discrimination, and racism to all minorities. According to the editors, Thurgood Marshall stated the following, "If we are ever to become a fully integrated society---one in which the color of a person's skin will not determine the opportunities available to him or her--- we must be willing to take steps to open these doors." The HR generalist believes that Thurgood Marshall was an important champion in the efforts needed to support affirmative action. The magazine is known for its large group of professional HR representatives that have a passion for the worker rights. The article sets a non-biased tone; however it provides information on why our society needs affirmative action for equality.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You've been doing a lot of good research! Here are some editing tips for you:

Linda Chavez, a member of the Democratic staff of the House [delete of] Judiciary Committee in 1974,

Richard Sander. Mr. Sander's explains - Is his name Sander or Sanders? If Sanders, do not use an apostrophe unless it is possessive: Sanders' empirical analysis

According to David B. Wilkins, who is a professor at [delete the] Harvard Law School, [delete as saying], "Great lawyers are made, not born."

mentoring can prevent minorities from excelling in the workplace. - does it really? are you sure this is right?

According to [delete Mr.] Connerly, proposed ballots for the four states' operative clause reads,

The magazine is known for its large group of professional HR representatives that have a passion for [delete the] workers' rights.

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Grammar, Usage / Annotated Bibliography for "Affirmative Action in the Workplace"