Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 9

Can I get away with recycling an old paper for a new assignment?

dhogan1971 1 / -  
This is my first time in college and i have this essay that has to be done by 2 a.m. and I dint have a Ideal on how to start or what can I use on ny computer to get me started?
I moved your question to a new thread, because all questions must have their own threads. You are supposed to help some other members by giving peer reviews if you want help with your own project. I'll help you now, because it is due at 2AM, but you owe us some peer reviews for other members. :) Go give some advice.

As for your question, I don't know if I understand it because you seem to have put so little effort into typing it! Do you mean to ask whether it is okay to re-use an old essay that you perhaps used in high school? I would say that defeats the purpose of college.

Instead of giving up, try to enjoy this as you would if you were someone who never had any chance to go to school, and who is very excited about this opportunity to write an essay. All you need to do is read an article or chapter of something for inspiration. Get ready to write, and then read an article about your subject. Soon, you will be writing. Look at other discussions in EssayForum for ideas about how to get it written quickly and painlessly.
MonkeyDDragon 4 / 10  

Why don't you consult a book such as "writing academic English" (Alice Oshima) ? This has a detailed guidance.
To answer the question you originally posed, the answer is yes, probably. If you posted the essay online somewhere, then it might get flagged as plagiarized. If you never published it or posted it online somewhere, though, then it is extremely unlikely that your professor would ever know that you had recycled an old paper. Thus, you could "get away with it," in the sense of not getting caught cheating, which, by the way, is how the professor would see it if you did get caught.

However, as Kevin said, that would defeat the point of college. Also, I strongly suspect that the topic you have to write on now is a bit different from the one you wrote in high school. I would bet money that the professor has much higher expectations for it. So, recycling your old papers is not going to be a good way to get high academic marks, and it will prevent you from learning anything, which is the whole point of going to college. Which goes to prove, I think, that no one ever really gets away with anything. The consequences of poor choices may not always be immediately obvious, but there are always consequences, and they always catch up to you.
michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
I would agree with Keven as well. As a student myself I would say that recycling a paper is probably a bad idea if you did it in high school. It will not be the level you need it to be.
gacesaa 6 / 10  
i agree too...u nshould move on next level
Notoman 20 / 419  
I would say that you could probably use an old paper as a jumping-off point for a new paper, but you will need to bring it up to the college level and make it fit the assignment. I have found that most of my teachers have such specific assignments that there is no way I could use anything that I have ever written before. Most of my assignments have started with a prompt or have very limited parameters for how they need to be written. The FIRST thing you should do is read the assignment and make sure that you are able to meet the criteria whether you start with an old paper or not.
bluek7 2 / 2  
I actually did this and took my 6 page anthropology research paper and used it in my English122 (college writing) class. Helped me a ton because I procrastinate till the last minute to start on it.
babydoll 8 / 39  
I think you should try some other subject matter besides your old research paper.

At least you know how to do a research paper and that's a good thing. But now apply your research skills for another one, you will impress yourself and gain the benefits of learning.

WHY NOT BRAINSTORM FOR ANOTHER GOOD IDEA ON ANOTHER SUBJECT?

Your skills are transferable to be able to write. I agree with all the above comments, it's not a good idea for recycling an old paper.

Home / Grammar, Usage / Can I get away with recycling an old paper for a new assignment?