Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 8

Basics of research paper writing

pushpraj3123 1 / 2  
dear sir/madam,
i am Pushpraj singh , as STUDENT of PGDM from pune.I want to know the basics of research paper writing and also the method ,please can anyone help me doing the same. my email -id is shekhar255371

hope for a response from all the knowledgeable and learned people here
thanks in advance
Great question! I think you should google this:
Dianna Hacker
Her website tells everything you need to know!

My advice is like this: Write the body paragraphs first:

- Start by finding sources that will work well for your topic.

- As you finish reading each article, write a sentence to tell what the author's main idea was. PAy close attention to her intro and conclusion sections.

- Start each paragraph you write with a topic sentence. What follows the topic sentence? Explanations and examples in the body of the paragraph.

- Each paragraph might be around 100 words, and 300 words fit on an average page, so for a 10 page research paper you might need about 25 paragraphs.

- When the paragraphs are all written, it is time to GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING AND write the introduction. End the intro with a thesis statement.

- Go to the end and write the conclusion.

Google those bold words: thesis statement, body paragraph, topic sentence.

:-)
OP pushpraj3123 1 / 2  
dear kevin ,

thanks a lot for giving your valuable tips. I would be grateful if you could favour me once again by telling me that can we choose the topic of our choice or is it restricted to certain terms and conditions. I want to research on Production and operations mgmt (precisely TQM and six sigma), also in the field of management principles , so can u guide me regarding the same and one more thing is there any page limit for the research report.

once again thank you for your response and hope to receive it again !!!!!!
allathlete5 5 / 19  
I think that whoever is having you write this research paper should tell you if there are restricted topics... If they did not then there shouldn't be.

For the page limit.. there really is none.. ive had teachers/professors have me write 4 pages minimum and some 10 pages exactly. It all depends.

I think the first thing you need to do is pre-research and define what topic you would like to write about specifically.
Vakax 2 / 50  
What i understand from this is that you are interested in both 'Production and operations mgm' and 'Management Principles'.You should work with the topic which has the most potential to provide you with innovative results. I say this because a research builds on past work of others and introduces newer perspectives of thinking.

Also, I would like to add here is that the length of your paper should be specified by your professor as research papers have definite page limits for different issues - Fic, non-fic, mathematical, science, etc.

Best of Luck
Thanks Bob and Waqas, I can't disagree with any of that.

can we choose the topic of our choice or is it restricted to certain terms and conditions. I want to research on Production and operations mgmt

As Bob said, you have to follow the instructions given by the teacher. There is usually a syllabus or a set of guidelines. However, YOU have the ability to become an expert by reading EVERY article you can find about your subjects of interest. Can you collect one hundred journal articles/dissertations/thesis papers written by your colleagues in this field? If you read them, you might have to google various terms to understand the research design, but it will make you an expert in the field.

So, 1.) if you have a language barrier and it makes it hard to understand the prof's instructions or the school's submission guidelines, let us help you to interpret them... and, 2.) collect 100 articles and research studies in your field and read them, googling as much as necessary. If you do that, you will be very successful, but you have to read a LOT.

:-)
OP pushpraj3123 1 / 2  
thanks to every one for their valuable suggestions !!!!

can anyone please give me some links or some articles related to the six sigma and TQM ...
kevin as u mentioned that i must go through the reports ,,i had gone through some of them and at the same time i alsohad interactions with some professors regarding the same ,, yet i need more information ,,

so please people can you give some link or some articles ,,

thanks in advance
!!!!
Well you probably already have seen adamssixsigma.com/Newsletters/TQM_six_sigma_differences_sim ilarities.htm

Hey, I use questia and I found a lot of articles about six sigma. questia costs $$ though...

Home / Grammar, Usage / Basics of research paper writing