Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 5

The so called word "irregardless"

paledin 1 / -  
I have a problem with an expression that I often hear in Massachusetts. It is the word "irregardless". It is used in the same sense as a phrase like, "in any case" meaning something like "If we consider this discussion topic in any other context, our conclusion will still be the same". My problem is the the difference between the word "irregardless" and the word "regardless". For me the intended meaning is still the same. That is, "without regard to that distinction". But "irregardless" with the double negative, "ir" and "less" suggests to me that it is trying to say "without without regard to that distinction". To me, that conveys the meaning "regarding that distinction". So the word, when I think about it, does not work in the way that it is intended. I have used it many times in just that way but when I sit down and think about it, it's a train wreck. Am I making sense?

We have to review different politician's speeches and the speech that I chose uses the word "irregardless". I think I should point out that she is using a word that does not mean what she intends it to mean, even though I have used the same word as well.
mehdi1 1 / 9 1  
They are uneducated people for sure to use irregardless. Anyway you should use regardless. The point is you get the meaning when they say irregardless but you dont have to talk like an ignorant, uneducated person.
NathanB - / 1  
Regard --> Regardless

Irregardless ---> ?

Makes little sense.
derpeena 1 / 1  
The word irregardless is considered to be non standard for the double negatives words: ir and less and it was probably formed on the analogue of words such as irrespective, irrelevant...the ones who use it which are educated speakers intend to emphasize.

Hope that i helped :)
marmaria 10 / 30 5  
in Longan ductionary beside the word irregardless "non-standard" was written which means:
non- standard ways of speakings are not usually considered to be correct by educated speakers of a language
what I understand is: although they look like opposite, they are the same , but it is accepted by educated people

Home / Grammar, Usage / The so called word "irregardless"