Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

Do you need to cite a mere summary of a novel's scene?

qomoco 24 / 107  

such as

"In the novel Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth rejects Mr. Collins proposal."

That would be from my memory after reading the book, and certain events/actions happen over a course of few pages, though if we have to do "(Austen page #)" then how would I do events took over the course of few chapters?
Joeyson 7 / 15  
"In the novel Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth rejects Mr. Collins proposal"(Page #). This is how you correctly quote a passage from MLA.

I believe you will have to quot each passage or use points of ollypses, I'm not for sure. I hope this helps.
"In the novel Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth rejects Mr. Collins proposal"(Page #).

Well, this is how you do it if that sentence above was a quote frm the book, but it's not.

This is a great question, by the way. The most important answer to consider is this; You ALREADY cited the book when you wrote: In the novel Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth rejects Mr. Collins proposal.

That is a way of citing the novel. And if you tell someone what I am telling you now, and you say, "Kevin told me that," then you will have cited me, too. A citation does not have to be in parentheses.

But when you do a direct quote, you should use the page number.
In Pride and Prejudice, So-and So says to So-and-So, " XXX XXXX XXX X XXXXXX" (14), but she gets no reply from him.
OP qomoco 24 / 107  
Ok, thanks. Since that one wasn't a direct quotation, but a mere summary statement (you can't write something about a book without some sort of summary) so you don't need (Austen #).

Home / Grammar, Usage / Do you need to cite a mere summary of a novel's scene?