Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

Citing references not used in main paper

beli 1 / -  
We are using Apa format, I don't remember any of my teachers (Either in HS, when going for my AA, or now when I'm going for my BA) whether it's MLM format which was used in when I went for my AA 10yrs ago and I think HS.. don't remember honestly... but I do remember using MLM format for my AA because we had classes within English class on how to cite/use references etc saying we have to cite references(on the reference page)that were not used in the main paper. Anyway, currently my school is using Apa format 6th Edition (if it helps).. and I have a student in my group (it's a group project.. but don't get me started on that one) saying because he READ it but didn't use it he has to site it. Ummm no. There's a lot of crap on the internet that's not usable for research papers. If you list everything you read the teacher will be there for hours chasing after references you actually DID use. If you do not use it in your paper then you do not cite it. At least that's how I've always been taught, and I don't believe the 6th Edition Apa manual says otherwise. I can't tell how many times I've looked through that thing.

So, am I wrong? I told him if he had an issue (i've been having issues with him getting him to correct his references I've asked several times, gave a solid dead line and never responded till I said I was going to mark him as a non-participant and even then it was AFTER the time given. which I still am since he never did correct his references)

And here is what it says in our book:

Cite the work of those individuals whose ideas theories or research have DIRECTLY influenced your work. Not just because you READ the work.
Reply Quote
I think you mean MLA, not mlm.

we have to cite references(on the reference page)that were not used in the main paper. A

Usually, the prof tells you not to include publications on the ref list if they are not cited in the material.

Spell cite with a c.

No, he does not have to cite it. I have read a lot of books, but I only list the one's I cited in the paper. It's simple, really!

You make your contribution, and in doing so you reference others' work. When you reference others, obviously it is necessary to include the publication info in a list.

I have heard about some instances when using Chicago style and writing about philosophy, etc., people might list a lot of sources that are not specifically mentioned... it just depends on the purpose. But in APA, no... just list what you cite.

I think you should let the person cite whomever he wants to cite. If there is a disagreement, make a little note of it and the prof will enjoy the opportunity to explain. Open up to receive what the team members give, and go the extra mile, because that is how to open up the flood gates of energy. Your team member may be blocked... just open yourself up and write something. ;-)
boomer029 - / 1  
Need help citing source! (MLA) in a research paper on Warren Buffett

I'm writing a research paper on Warren Buffett. In the beginning of my essay I started it off with this quote by Warren Buffett himself.

"If your're in the luckiest one percent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 percent"

Ok, so basically my question is, when you normally site something you put ( ) right before the period and whatever is in the parentheses should match up to the first word in your works cited.

However, how do I cite something that's spoken by Buffett himself? The quote can be found on many different websites. Help please! thanks!!
Quite simply, after the quotation marks at the end of the statement, you put -Warren Buffet. That way no matter where, when or how often he said it, you know for sure that HE said it and the rest becomes irrelevant.

Home / Grammar, Usage / Citing references not used in main paper