Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 14

'Class who is absent..' - Which is more appropriate to say?

niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Hi,

I am now enrolled in this subject, Methods and Strategies of Teaching. Our professor reminded us that when we are in the field of teaching, we need to be careful in constructing sentences. He added also that it MUST conform the rule of appropriateness. This is my concern, which is more appropriate to say: " Class, who is absent today?" or " Class, do we have absent today?"

It seems both of them are grammatically right, but Im so confused which I will utilize in my demonstration teaching with regards to checking of absentees. If I commit error of appropriateness, the evaluators will retrench me with points on that criterion.

Please let me know. Thank you.:))
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Definitely "Class, who is absent today?" "Class, do we have absent today?" is not grammatically correct at all.

I don't know how it works in college classrooms, but high school teachers usually have a list of names that they will read. People who are in class will raise their hand or say, "Here" or "Present." So teachers don't ask who is not there; they ask who is there. I don't know if students will be able to identify all the students that are not there.
rememberwhen - / 3  
sorry can you help me about writting
OP niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
what is it all about?

sorry can you help me about writting

Yes....both are not grammatically correct. However, when we address students in a class, we sometimes refer to them as "class" ....that's only used in spoken language and in writing this means different. In that sense the first line is ok. The second one is anyway wrong.
OP niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
The second one is anyway wrong.

Yes..the second one is grammatically wrong. Actually, it is supposed to be, " Do we have absentees today?" I overlooked it.. Thank you very much.

Dumi,
May I ask a certain question?
Why is the word "class" has a different meaning in writing?
Dumi,
May I ask a certain question?

Well.... the word "Class" has the same meaning be it used in speaking or writing. By definition it means;
A set or category of things having some property or attribute in common and differentiated from others by kind, type, or quality.
What I meant was, when we speak, we have different usages which sometimes by pass certain rules that we need to obey in writing. For example, if you are a teacher you may address your students like "Good Morning Class!" ... Here you mean everybody in the class. I hope I didn't confuse you any more :D ...LOL
OP niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Don't worry it's not confusing at all:)

I think that falls on the pragmatic concept..There are actually words which are similar in form but different in meaning. It only depends on our idea which we are trying to mean for.

Thank you a lot: )
hafsy - / 1  
Hy dear, please can you help me with a write-up(essay) on social media and youth development
OP niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
It's fine with me. But can you give first the specific question about such topic so as I could help you more? ..
Fardin 6 / 14  
hi

i have a toefl exam on sep 7 and now i prepare for that but i think i am very week in writing and it disappointed me .please check my essay and guide me what should i do?
kawsneffect 8 / 37  
Fardin

Hi, I would begin with the basics. Always capitalize the beginning letter after a period or when you begin a sentence. "I" is always capitalized . (ed) is past tense and is only used when something has happened already.

Ex.

I was smacked by my girlfriend.

"Was" indicates something occurred. "smack" was what occurred so you add an (ed)
Fardin 6 / 14  
Thank you dear "kawsneffect " but i am very confused and i don't know what should i dooooooooo!?
eko_widianto - / 5 1  
for what i think, the first one is to the point while the second one, you still need to ask who after asking the "do we have absent today"

Home / Grammar, Usage / 'Class who is absent..' - Which is more appropriate to say?