Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

Correct word use? "Without a leader to guide our people..."

myc 4 / 5  
Hi
Does this sentence make sense? Without a leader to guide our people, the populance would be like loose grains of sand that is easily washed away by waves. Should I use replace populance with another more suitable word?

also what is a liberal arts expert called? a person who is an expert in science is called a scientists, and a virtuoso in art is called an artist.

Thanks
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Good questions! To your first one, I should first point out that the word is "populace" not "populance." Second, "loose grains" is plural and requires a matching verb: "are" instead of "is." Now, let's look at the sentence as a whole. Since you refer to them as "our people," it would sound better to say "we": "Without a leader to guide our people, we would be like loose grains of sand that are easily washed away by the tide." To me, that sounds best. :-)

Now then, a liberal arts expert. Hm, that's a puzzler. "Liberal arts" can include languages, literature, history, philosophy, mathematics, and science, so it's hard to imagine one person being an expert in ALL those things. I'd have to see it in context before I could give you a good catch-all term. My suspicion is that it might be better to be less general and more specific.

If you'd like to post what you are working on, I'd be happy to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP myc 4 / 5  
I thought liberal arts only included writing, reading and history.. not math and science.

"Topic: With the increasing importance of science and technology in the workplace, a liberal arts education is of little value for tomorrow's college graduates. What is your opinion of the idea that a liberal arts education will be of little value to college graduates in the future?"

the topic dosen't make sense if liberal arts inclueded math and science.

thanks for your help
OP myc 4 / 5  
also is this sentence redundant?
"Liberal arts is just as important in our society as science and technology. Without it our society would be in a maelstrom of confusion. "

maelstrom and confusion, since malestrom already has a confusing apect to it.

Home / Grammar, Usage / Correct word use? "Without a leader to guide our people..."