Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 5

"Furthermore, stating..." - Fragment Sentence?

Ava 1 / 1  
"Furthermore, stating the unalienable rights of gays as unconstitutional."

Thanks in advance
s_matti_2404 1 / 4  
Hello, it would help if you included the sentence that precedes the one you are questioning so it can be read in context. It seems that you are missing a subject. Of course, I could be wrong but you are lacking "who" it is that is stating the unalienable rights of gays as unconstitutional. Maybe you should omit the "furthermore" and attach the sentence to the previous sentence with a semi-colon.
OP Ava 1 / 1  
Thanks matti, I decided to omit "Furthermore" and the sentence would be:

Sullivan points out that every individual should have the right to marry, including homosexuals; stating the unalienable rights of gays as unconstitutional.
ysanju2004 - / 3  

a ; only comes between two complete ideas. the first part of the sentence is complete, however the second part isnt. you should think about starting a new sentence
a ; only comes between two complete ideas.

Ha ha! Good point here...

The semi-colon should be used between 2 phrases that could be complete sentences on their own.
However, some writers use semi-colons in nonstandard ways, and I suppose that is okay in writing-for-art but not in writing-for-good-grades.

So... google this: correct use of semi-colon

Sullivan points out that every individual should have the right to marry, including homosexuals; he affirms the unalienable rights of gays.
When you use a semi-colon correctly, it can do the same thing a period does:
Sullivan points out that every individual should have the right to marry, including homosexuals. He affirms the unalienable rights of gays.

That is what Sanjana was explaining. :^)

Home / Grammar, Usage / "Furthermore, stating..." - Fragment Sentence?