Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

Hackers, the great miss-conception

CSiD 1 / 1  
This is my first thread here, I joined this site to improve my English writing skills during the holidays to enable me to do better work during semesters.

Here is an Essay:

Hackers are known as malicious criminals who use basic knowledge to exploit people and services to gain money. This essay will be used to depict the truth, from an experienced viewpoint. The title Hacker is a respected title, there are four sub-titles, one of which is just a miss-conception.

The miss-conception is fed by the media, an example of this is John Markov for the New York Times writing about Kevin Mitnick. In the hacker realm people who break into system and use their skills to steal are either reffered to as Crackers or Blackhats. The people who oppose these people are known as Whitehats or Greyhats. At this point it is essential to understand that the names are not linked to any factors such as disabilities, religion or nationalities.

Crackers are inferior to the rest of the hacker community. Crackers are malicious, crackers usually have no knowledge in the feild of computing, yet declare themselves to be hackers. Crackers are reffered to as Script-kiddies by the rest of the hacker community. Crackers and Script-kiddies usually download programs and scripts that hackers programmed to save their time, without understanding how they work. Crackers often have no ethics or understanding of what hackers truly are.

Blackhats are superior to Crackers, but still frowned up on. Blackhats test systems and search for exploits and weaknesses to take advantage of such weaknesses to their advantage, the usual incentive would be money. Blackhats are respected and worshipped by crackers, but to everyone else they are merely theives. People in this category can develop alternate ethics and mature in to being Whitehats or in most cases become Greyhats.

Greyhats use Blackhat and Cracker methods, yet they have whitehat intentions. Greyhats will break in to systems to find the weknesses and report them to the owners of the system. This gains them respect as they act to help users, usually they cannot program the fixes, so in stead of supplying fixes they alert the whitehats to the problem existing which allows them to create the fix.

Whitehats are known as true hackers. Whitehats have solid ethics and usually craft systems and software. Examples of their work would include Linux, Open Office and even the laptop and the internet. Whitehats are al ways willing to teach, practice and help others. Whitehats are the true hackers of our time.

On the internet hackers live without race, colour or gender. Hackers are the ultimate truth, not the ultimate evil. Once again evidence has served that the media only write what you want to hear, and not the truth.
kenziii 7 / 35  
Wow. Your English is quite good.

Just looking it over quickly, there are no glaring grammatical errors.
However, In the first and beginning of the second paragraph..

-miss-conception to misconception
-sub-titles to subtitles

Third paragraph towards the end..

-in to to into

Interesting and informative.
OP CSiD 1 / 1  
Thank you Very much for the feedback, I have written down your pointers to read before any more essays, once again thanks
No need to capitalize "hacker." Use " " marks when referring to a word:
The title "hacker" is a respected title; there are four subtitles, one of which is just a misconception.

Do not write miss-conception. It is just misconception. Oh, I see Mackenzie already caught that...

Okay, and in this first paragraph, right after you tell us about the four subtitles and the misconception, you should use 1 or 2 sentences to tell us EXACTLY what you mean and the end that first paragraph. Add 1 or 2 sentences as the thesis statement to end that intro paragraph.

You can use that 1 or 2 sentences to replace this confusing part...rewrite this:

The miss-conception is fed by the media, an example of this is John Markov for the New York Times writing about Kevin Mitnick. In the hacker realm people who break into system and use their skills to steal are either reffered to as Crackers or Blackhats. The people who oppose these people are known as Whitehats or Greyhats. --- rewrite it so that it expresses the main idea of the essay and tells what you mean about a misconception.

At this point it is essential to understand that the names are not linked to any factors such as disabilities, religion or nationalities. No need to tell us this. We already know. End the first paragraph with a thesis statement that tells the main idea of the essay.

:-)

Home / Grammar, Usage / Hackers, the great miss-conception