Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 7

What can help a student to write a good essay (research for my assignment)

Lana_J 1 / 2  
Hi!
I'm trying to do a little research for my assignment. I need to write about what kind of information a student needs to prepare a good essay, debate, speech and research.

In other words, what would help and make the process easier, and why )))

Any ideas are welcome.
Please!
Gautama 6 / 133  
So you are doing an essay on how to write an essay, prepare for a debate, make a speech, and conduct research? Phew! That is enough for four different essays.

I guess what you should do for any of these is to first research whatever topic you are dealing with if you dont have enough information already. After looking over all of your research form an opinion about whatever the issue is you are dealing with. Then find examples in your research to back up your opinion.

For instance if you are doing an essay on a piece of literature then your research would be to read the book. Then you take a stance of whatever the issue you want to deal with is. Then you would find quotes and examples from the text to back up your stance. Your stance should be summarized into a thesis statement at the begining of the essay and dont forget to include the answer to the "why" question concerning your stance!

If you are debating global warming you would do as much research on global warming as you could (reading books, searching the internet for scholarly journals, etc.) then of course form an opinion about it. When debating other people on the subject you will use examples to back up your argument from the research you have done. (It is also good to research what you think the other side will research. Find out what the opposition's main arguments will be and then work out how you are going to disprove them ahead of time so you aren't struck dumb in the middle of the debate by a statement that you don't know how to cannot combat in the heat of the moment.)

This is a really broad and general strategy but it does apply to all of the activities that you mentioned you need will need to talk about. Good luck!
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
Tyler is right. Each manner of communication and essay has disparate attributes that need their own collation to demonstrate effectively what each form constitutes uniquely, as well as what aspects all those forms have in common.
If you are limiting yourself to "what kind of information a student needs," then you can divide it into a handful of categories. Information about the topic, obviously. That would be the research element mentioned by Tyler. Information about the format would come next. So, what are the conventions of a narrative essay, an argumentative essay, a speech, etc. Information about what constitutes good writing in general, would probably also be helpful. You would probably want to work in information about the audience, too. So, what are the views of the people who are likely to be reading the essay. If it is being submitted for marking, what are the preferences of the professor when it comes to writing style. That sort of thing.
In all four of those -- essay, debate, speech and research -- it is good to use reliable, peer-reviewed journal articles and research studies. These can be found on Google Scholar and in many databases.

Are you doing an assignment where you have to write about what information is needed?

For a debate, you need to know what the counterargument is and how to defeat it.
Abby002 3 / 24  
For a research paper, you need to come out with a research topic. Then, you can search for articles that related to your topic. If you think that the topic is too broad and hardly could find any articles, try to narrow down the topic and be more specific.

Doing research is the most important step in writing a paper; although, it is very time consuming, but it will provide interesting ideas.

I agreed with Kevin, peer-review journals and research studies are essential for writing a good paper, especially research paper.

Hope it helps.
MoeMoe1 13 / 75  
thanks guys!

Home / Grammar, Usage / What can help a student to write a good essay (research for my assignment)