Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

huge slap that wake me up - Can someone help me express my idea in a clearer way?

quanny 9 / 36 2  
"Like a huge slap that wake me up, I realize that I was too consumed by my self-gratifying compassion, to I tune out the fact that civil disobedience does not fit in this social context. "

The first sentence seems very problematic to me. What I want to say here is that: i was too carried away by my own compassion to the extent that I fail to understand the context:it is not a liberal democracy it--- (authoritarian govt ), hence not compatible to civil disobedience, which is the key character of liberal democracy. So i was blinded.
llsir 2 / 5  
I feel that the wording is a bit off and as a result it sounds a bit awkward. Perhaps a better way to rephrase would be:

"Before I was asleep but now I had been slapped awake. I had been too consumed by my self-gratifying compassion that I tunned out the fact that civil disobedience does not fit in this social context."

Although I really liked the way you explained it when you were giving context. Perhaps incorporate it?
"It was as though I had just been slapped. Before, I had been blind but now I was awake. I was too consumed and carried away by my own self-gratifying compassion to the extent that I failed to understand that civil disobedience did not fit in this social context:it is not a liberal democracy it--- (authoritarian govt ), hence not compatible to civil disobedience, which is the key character of liberal democracy."

Home / Grammar, Usage / huge slap that wake me up - Can someone help me express my idea in a clearer way?