Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

Invention ; College Essay; punctuation check

ashlove1214 1 / 1  
I have an assignment due in my English class, however I'm still a little unsure about commas, fragments, and semi-colons. Any help would be appreciated.

Invention is not merely settling for the obvious, instead, it is the process of thinking through an idea concept, or question. Actually dissecting it; expanding it, developing new thoughts and ideas that are not easily recognized. Invention; much like a fruit tree, needs work, dedication, and care. If you don't water a fruit tree it simply dies, stays stunted, never to reach its full potential. However, if you water that same tree, trim it, and care for it, it eventually grows, develops, sprouts branches and thrives forever sprouting new fruit. The same theory applies to invention. If you simply stop at the obvious, your idea ends. If you explore and dissect that same idea, it blossoms, revealing more ideas and meanings, discovering new reasoning's. You move past the barriers that you may not have previously noticed-finding the "hidden fruit", or the deeper layer. It's not difficult to realize that this same invention tool is a very important concept. We can use it to further our everyday problem solving techniques, develop new and brilliant ideas. With invention, the possibilities are endless, simply by not limiting ourselves to the obvious.
love_mashimaro2 - / 22  
Semicolons are used when you connect two independent clauses. For example,

Invention; much like a fruit tree, needs work, dedication, and care.

A comma should be used after "invention" because there is only one sentence. Invention cannot be separated from the rest.

I got this from writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Semicolons.html
OP ashlove1214 1 / 1  
Thank you for your help!
love_mashimaro2 - / 22  
If you explore and dissect that same idea, it blossoms, revealing more ideas and meanings, discovering new reasoning' s.

Oh yeah, there is no apostrophe in "reasonings".

Home / Grammar, Usage / Invention ; College Essay; punctuation check