Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 12

MLA Style - Quoting Quotes in Documents / Comparative Essays?

MMMarie 1 / 1  
I'm trying to figure out how to correctly quote conversation from Hills Like White Elephants where there are several spoken sentences, but each one is a new paragraph (and a different person making the quote). This is what I'm trying to quote in my essay.. (For context sake, I'll include the sentence before what I am trying to quote, and the sentence after.)

"No, we can't."

"We can go everywhere."

"No, we can't. It isn't ours anymore."

"It's ours."

"No, it isn't.
And once they take it away, you never get it back."

Any suggestions (keeping in mind that the conversation is going back and forth between two people)? I've spent the last couple hours looking for info. online (inc. the owl style guide site) and just can't figure it out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

When you can't find the answer, sometimes the best thing to do is just do what seems logical. Here's what I would suggest: Assuming that you've already established what work you are discussing, and the author and year it was written (e.g., "In Ernest Hemingway's 1927 short story, "Hills Like White Elephants," ...), make clear which characters are having the conversation, and which one speaks first, then simply lay it out as you did above, with each line as its own paragraph. After the last line you are quoting, put the page number in parentheses next to it, like this: "No, it isn't." (245).

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP MMMarie 1 / 1  
Thanks for the advice, Sarah. Much appreciated.
aroooska1 - / 1  
Quoting quotes - how do I correctly cite a citation?

I am studying Film theory right now and most of the work is based on prior work from other writers. I am finding most of the definitions I need are quotes and I have no idea how to quote them properly if there is even a way. What I have done in the past is just go directly to the source but now I am finding that some of the time I am crunching for time. If there is a way, how do I correctly cite a citation?
car3n 3 / 6  
Hello, Maybe this site may help you, there are ae a few examples if you want to take a look. Hope this helps!

alli26 - / 2  
hi there ,I would like to know how to improve my english in writing and speaking though it is my second language trying to lean it properly.

thanks
alli26 - / 2  
thank you car3n your help is appreciated
Keng 39 / 134  
The best way to learn English is reading news everyday so that you know how to write effectively.

Speaking skill is an integrated skill. If you read news and listen to English, your speaking skill will improve.

Here are my suggestions
how do I correctly cite a citation?

Great question! If you are using MLA style, you just put the author's name and the page number in parentheses after the quote. For example, "Always use a block quotation for quotes that require four or more lines of text" (Hacker 14).

You can Google MLA style guide to find great examples. However, maybe you are using chicago style or APA style. Google "citation styles" to learn about them and choose one that you like. Ask your professor if a particular style is required.
spluck - / 1  
Question about bibliography for a comparative essay.

For a critical writing course, I have to read 4 PDF files and answer 3 questions posed by the teacher. One of the requirements is: Student includes appropriate quotations and cites them according to the MLA style guide.

The PDFs provided by the teacher credit their own sources. They're not MY sources. Do I use them, anyway? I can't find an answer online or in my MLA Manual.

My apologies in advance if I stuck this in the wrong Forum.
Tess962 2 / 10 4  
I think you should credit them even if they are not your sources. Of course it would be even better if you could take same time to look at the original sources. Even if you don't read them very accurately, it can really help you have a look at the general picture. And then they will be YOUR sources!
chase345 - / 1  
Citing information from a research paper that is itself cited within the paper

Can anyone provide any advice about making citations from a paper when the information is itself cited by the author (or authors) within that paper?

eg. It is generally accepted that forest regeneration techniques must be tailor to local abiotic and environmental conditions (Pace 2002; Gooding 1998; Tyler 2003).

Would it be appropriate to cite the author of the paper you're reading, or to cite the author (or authors) that THAT author is citing within his or her paper (ie. Pace Gooding and Tyler). This has always caused me confusuion and I thought I'd see if anyone had some feedback on the rules governing this common scenerio.

Thhak you.

Home / Grammar, Usage / MLA Style - Quoting Quotes in Documents / Comparative Essays?