Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 5

'One might wonder what...' Need correction for this essay sentence

hhdbr 1 / 2  

sentence structure

Hi,
Can someone please correct/ improve or correct the structure of this sentence. It comes right after a narrated description.

'One might wonder what is this description of.' Is this right?
'One might wonder what this description is of.' Is this better?

Please suggest anything. thanks
sweetsenior 4 / 7 2  
One might wonder what this description belongs to.
Hoaidepchi 2 / 4  
Is this Reported speech ?
I think first one should be : One might wonder: "what is this description of " ?

The second one is correct but if this is Reported Speech exercise then the tense should be in the past.
-One might wonder what wasthat description of.
OP hhdbr 1 / 2  
@Hoaidepchi
thanks for the reply.
It's that Im narrating someone's description. Its for a college essay and this is how it starts:

Year one: perfect.
Year two: perfect.
Year three: perfect.
Year four: perfect
Overall experience: couldn't be better.

One might wonder what is this description of. I thought the same thing too, when my (relative) described how his experience at (college name) was.

Hope this helps and you can suggest improvement. thanks
Mike, the presentation of the sentence will really depend upon it is being used in the context of the message. Since you presented an outline of the related information, it would seem like the sentence should be presented in its past form. That is because the implied information relates to past experiences or actions of the speaker / writer. You could have said "One might wonder about what is being described here." Which would have been the more grammatically correct presentation of the sentence. In this case, the outline indicates a past tense use. It would have been easier to create a succeeding sentence if you had instead, presented the information in paragraph form as well. Unless otherwise specified, it is always best to use the paragraph form of introducing information in an essay because it creates an easier method for sentence development.

Home / Grammar, Usage / 'One might wonder what...' Need correction for this essay sentence