Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 4

parenthetical citing help

eltron 1 / 1  
could someone see my paper and tell me if there is anything wrong with the citing?
the link is here noemor.freehostia.com/humansmuggling.htm thanks
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
Sorry, but we cannot provide comments on documents that are remotely-hosted.

EssayForum.com
OP eltron 1 / 1  
ok here it is again. any feedback, or comment is appreciated. thanks

Human Smuggling: Issues, Risks, and Consequences

Today, human smuggling is an issue that the United Sates is trying to resolve but unfortunately, the smuggling of illegal aliens into the United States continues and it does not seem to be stopping. Over the years, human smuggling has become a risky business, in which lives have been affected in many ways. Whether it is because of money or to find a better lifestyle, anyone involved in human smuggling has a reason to do it. Even with stricter laws on immigration, illegal aliens are still finding a way to get into the Land of Opportunity (Zuckerman). In this writing, the issues, risks, and consequences of human smuggling will be evaluated. With law enforcement trying to protect the border and preventing people from crossing an invisible wall, will human smuggling continue to prevail?

There is an issue today, because of humans being smuggled into the country illegally. These undocumented people, who are being smuggled into the United States, are accused of taking jobs away from others. In a report by the Center of Immigration Studies, within four years nearly 2.3 million immigrants were employed, while 2.3 million Americans were unemployed. It seems that with every unemployed American, an immigrants seems to be hired (Camarota). The report does not state that because of immigrants, Americans don't have jobs, but many people do believe illegal immigrants are taking jobs away. Once they successfully enter the United States, it is most likely that many already have relatives living somewhere across the country, who will assist them in finding jobs or shelter them. Since an illegal immigrant does not have a social security number it is most likely that they would be working at a farm, working for someone who knows that they are illegal aliens, or have managed to acquire fraudulent documents (Stana 1). The fact that these illegal immigrants are acquiring jobs, without having been born here or legalized themselves has caused outrage for some citizens of the United States.

When trying to cross over into the United States, Illegal immigrants face many risks. Not all Illegal immigrants know how to get across the United States, or know how to evade law enforcement. This is where the "coyote", or human smuggler according to The American Heritage Dictionary, comes to place. "Coyotes" are people who charge immigrants a certain amount of money in order to smuggle them into the United States. For an immigrant, they risk losing their hard earned money to a "coyote" if they don't make it across the border. Losing their money would be the least of their problems, for many of the illegal aliens are subjected to slavery. An article by Curt Anderson states that more than 17,500 people are brought each year and are put in "slavery-like conditions for forced sex, sweatshop labor and domestic servitude." The money that illegal immigrants pay is impressive. Some illegal aliens pay up to one-thousand five-hundred to five-thousand dollars to others, in order to get smuggled into the country (KETK)." Those illegal immigrants are now putting all their money and their lives, in the hands of someone who is most likely more worried about the money. To the "coyotes", those illegal immigrants are just a product for their business, and like every business there are wins and losses, except in this business the customer loses money either way. Illegal immigrants traveling farther than a bordering city by the river, one can probably be sure that their travel is not going to be a pleasant one. They still have to tackle the vast water-less desert. An online article describes the conditions many face when they try to cross illegally, "baking by day and freezing by night--has made crossing more hazardous in other ways. Mexico's government says that 300 people died trying to cross last year--a record number (Dangerous)." In 2003 Tyrone Williams was driving a trailer truck, jam-packed with 74 illegal aliens. Tyrone did not smuggle them in, but was just transporting them. He was just a truck driver who was paid thousands of dollars by smugglers, in order to do the job. During the drive, Tyrone neglected the screams and sufferings of the women, men, and children, in the back of the trailer, which unfortunately resulted in 19 people dead (George). One can only wonder what could have been going through the minds of these people. Were they thinking about what their future was going to be when they arrived at their destination, or were they thinking this could be their last trip?

For the smuggler, or "coyote", some of the risks while trying to smuggle someone in, are the same. They also put their lives at risk when going through dangerous conditions, because they are the ones guiding everyone else. Apart from the physical risks that "coyotes" must face, they also must face justice if they are ever caught. Just because a smuggler is bringing in illegal aliens into the country, the United States government does not ignore those to neglect the value of human life. Capital punishment for smugglers risking the lives of illegal aliens was made possible by a bill passed by the United States. In the case of Tyrone Williams, he was sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was not sentenced to life in prison because he was smuggling illegal aliens, but because he neglected their lives, when he abandoned his truck left them for dead (Lianne).

Illegal smuggling of humans still continues to break through the lines of the men and women protecting our borders, but what measures are being taken to counter illegal immigration? Along with the United States Border Patrol agents who are stationed at border checkpoints or patrolling our borders, agencies like the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) also help crackdown on human smuggling. A way that ICE is combating human smuggling is that they are attacking the organized smuggling networks, providing a little more peace and security for everyone, including human trafficking victims (Efforts). Instead of waiting for an smuggler to fall into the hands of justice, the INS has set up a strategy to fight smuggling rings. According to a GAO report, the INS plans to "Deter, dismantle, and diminish smuggling or trafficking of aliens," along with responding more to illegal immigration complaints and prevent identity fraud (Immigration).

The Minuteman Project is an organization started my Jim Gilchrist. It is an organization that is tries to pressure those in politics by peaceful means, not to turn their heads the other way on immigration, and bring more awareness to the immigration issues (About). They consider themselves a multi-ethnic organization, yet many people tend to think they are a racist group. Evidence of this can be read in their hate-mail section on their website. What some of these people who send out hate mail don't realize is that this group is trying to put a stop to the illegal immigration issue, yet many think this group is targeting by racial means (Hate). By pressuring those in politics, human smuggling can also be diminished.

In this writing, some of the issues, risks, and consequences, that can occur when dealing with human smuggling. With law enforcement tackling smugglers, and with laws giving harsher punishment for smugglers, it can be seen as a sign that human smuggling will not prevail. Hopefully with the help of the pressure interest groups apply to the government, more laws and enforcement policies will come into action.

Works Cited
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

How parenthetical citations are formatted depends on whether you are using APA, MLA, or some other form of citation. You appear to be using MLA, so I will address that form.

The parenthetical citation needs to contain both the author's name and the page number of the citation you are referencing, for example: (Smith 118-22). However, if you mention the author's name within the reference, just put the page number: "In a recent interview, Smith called Jones' position 'ridiculous'" (298). If an online source does not have page numbers you can omit them from the citation.

Arrange entries in your Works Cited list in alphabetical order by authors' last names or by title for sources without authors.

You appear to have included works in your Works Cited list that are not cited in the text. In the Works Cited section you only list items you have actually cited within your paper. In a Bibliography you list all of the material you have consulted in researching your paper whether or not you have actually cited the work.

In a Works Cited list, use hanging indents. This means the first line of the citation is flush with the left margin, and the next line(s) of that citation are indented (usually 5 to 7 spaces, depending on the font).

I hope this is helpful to you!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Grammar, Usage / parenthetical citing help