Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

GRE Pro and Con Essay

madh83 1 / -  
I was looking at this practice essay and was wondering if someone could give me feedback on the direction of my thinking:

1) Without Freedom, I would not want to be alive.

and you had to make a Pro or Con argument on it.

Personally, I was thinking the con argument would say that not all freedoms are good. That in order for civilization to have formed some freedoms had to have been given up. Freedoms that let you do anything you want, including stealing and killing.

Etc...

The only problem is I'm not sure if that's interpreting the word freedom too much. Would they only want it to mean that freedom as in all the good freedoms like speech and creed?

What do you think?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you're asking some good questions! I think the important thing is not so much the conclusions you draw as the logical process you go through to get there. So, a discussion of what "freedom" means is certainly in order. I believe the important question is not what "they" want freedom to mean, as what you feel it means.

Having said that, keep in mind that if you take the "Con" argument, you are saying "Without freedom, I would still want to be alive" so you need to be able to support that stance. Having a logical, rational thought process to the question is the most important thing.

Here is more information about writing pro-con essays. I hope this helps to answer your questions!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Grammar, Usage / GRE Pro and Con Essay