Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 6

Did I put the comma's in the right place in this sentence?!

shadowfax 5 / 22  
Ok so this is my concluding line for my GA Tech essay

"After all, a rich life, in addition to academics, also includes friendships and connections to one's community and I believe that kind of life can begin at Georgia Tech."

I was just wondering if I put the comma's in the right place or not. Like, do I need a comma after "After all?"

Thank You in advance!!!
taniish23 - / 1  
I think the commas in the first sentence are OK. It just depends on how pronounced you want the phrase "in addition to academics" to be. I could read that phrase without it being separated by commas.

About the latter part of the sentence, I would put a comma between "community" and "and" in "to one's community, and I believe".

That's my editorial opinion. Thanks!
alexamoses98 - / 1  
I agree. Put a comma after community because those are two independent clauses.
A great way to learn the correct use of commas is to read Strunk and White. (Google it)

"After all, in addition to academics a rich life also includes friendships and connections to one's community, and I believe that kind of life can begin at Georgia Tech."
jayy1 - / 1  
I agree with the first respond add a comma after community and you be in the right track good luck
Bukhmmas 2 / 2  
"After all, a rich life and academics also includes friendships and connections to one's community. I believe that kind of life can begin at Georgia Tech."

:)

Home / Grammar, Usage / Did I put the comma's in the right place in this sentence?!