Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

Question on describing statistics in charts

Jennifer Zhang 9 / 27  
Hi, everyone, please help me with some questions on describing statistics in charts, thanks so much!!! (the words in bold style is what i'm confused about)

1、The largest size of internet users belonged to Germany, witnessinga dramatic rise from 5 million in 1995 to 14 million in 2000

"witnessing" is used like this, is it right? I just want to explain like this" the largest size of internet users witness a dramatic rise...", is this sentence natural?

2、Internet was the most popular among UK residents, with the number of internet users increasing from 16 million in 1995 to 41million in 2004.
Internet was the most popular among UK residents,increasing from 16 million in 1995 to 41million in 2004.

here, the second sentence is wrong? I guess that's because we can't say" internet increase from..." is it right?

3、The same trend was also seen in talking with friends, increasingto 8%. (here are 2 pie charts about leisure activities of european adults, describing the proportion of adults doing different activities in 2001 and 2005, talking with friend is one activity).

here, "The same trend was also seen in talking with friends" OR "The same trend was also seen in the proportion of talking with friends"?

, increasingto 8% OR with the proportion increasing to 8%?---i'm not sure if i could say" the same trend increased from...to..." or i should change the subject to "the proportion increased from to"

4、Talking with friends was more popular in 1995, with the figure rising to 26% compared with 21% a decade ago.
Talking with friends was more popular in 1995,rising to 26% compared with 21% a decade ago.

which one is right? " talking with friends rose from...to" OR " the proportion of people talking with friends rose from to"?( here, talking with friends is the leisure activity i mentioned in the last question,in the same essay)

5、speed limit offences was the second main type of motor vehicle offences,rising from 602 thousand in 1995 to 2076 thousand in 2005.
OR speed limit offences was the second main type of motor vehicle offences,with the number rising from 602 thousand in 1995 to 2076 thousand in
2005.

which one is right? " speed limit offences" or "the number of speed limit offences" rose from... to...?

Thank you :)
lt12528 4 / 8  
1. which witnessed

2. Yes, the second sentence is wrong. I would just make it two sentences:
Internet was the most popular among UK residents. The number of internet users in the UK increased from 16 million in 1995 to 41 million in 2004.

3. in the proportion of adults talking with friends, which increased to 8%.

4. This one also might be better as two sentences. Use "the proportion of people talking with friends rose from to", though.

5. the number of speed limit offences

Home / Grammar, Usage / Question on describing statistics in charts