Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 6

Referencing question concerning Harvard Referencing style

niord 1 / 2  
Hi all, first post.

In Harvard referencing I know that if you list two works by the same author then you list them in chronological order. This, therefore is what I have

Goodhorn, S. (1998) Title of book here, London: Penguin

Goodhorn, S. (1999) Title of book here, Oxford: Oxford University Press

My question is; is above the correct way of doing it?

Thanks in advance.
Allow me to quote from wikipedia: "The Harvard style is the most commonly-used style of referencing worldwide. Unfortunately, it is not 'owned' by any institution or organisation, so no authority sets the rules. This means they have been interpreted slightly differently by different institutions." So, you can go online and run a Google search to find out some of the most common Harvard styles, and simply follow that format, but you still might be wrong. The only way you can be absolutely sure you are using the Harvard variation that your professor expects is to ask your professor, or some one else at your university, what version your institution employs.
Goodhorn, S. (1998). Title of book here, London: Penguin.

I totally agree with Sean, and actually someone else gave me the same advice about Harvard. Harvard style, to me, means: APA style with weird variations specific to the school.
OP niord 1 / 2  
Thanks guys.
OP niord 1 / 2  
One more thing, and this is the last I shall post on referencing. I've recieved conflicting advice on citing ancient texts. I'm just wondering if the following looks O.k to you.

Josephus, F. The Works of Josephus: Complete and Unabridged (1987), translated by William Whiston, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers
Josephus, F. (1987). The Works of Josephus: Complete and Unabridged. William Whiston, trans. Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers.

This is how I would do it, but it might not be consistent with what is expected at your school. Check out:

knol.google.com/k/norman-creaney/how-to-use-the-harvard-styl e-of/1hzaxtdr9c09g/14#

Home / Grammar, Usage / Referencing question concerning Harvard Referencing style