Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 12

How to write Memo about cultural differences to assist manager

Celine 1 / 2  
Hi, celine here...

Please help me with my case study as i have difficulty with my english and i never write memo before.

Put yourself in the following scenario. Im the Human Resource Manager of landswork Ltd. landswork has decided that the market in my home country has developed enough for it to open a local operation. My CEO,R.T. Landswork has asked me as an expat of that country to prepare a memo about what cultural differences landswork managers will face when the new operation is inaugrated.

my assignment then is to prepare a memo of no more than 10 double-spaced pages that will assist my managers. What will be looking here would be a precis of the particular features of your culture that would salient for managers in the workplace. this might include things such as business protocols, rituals, communication and interrelation mores and perhaps the industrial relations environment.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Memos are usually designed to either to inform the reader of a new piece of information, or to request the reader to take some sort of action. Here, your memo's purpose is to inform Landswork managers about what cultural differences they will face when the new operation is inaugurated.

Typically, memos begin with a heading like this:

TO:
FROM:
DATE:
SUBJECT:

The following paragraphs will then present the background of the issue that is the subject of the memo (Ex: "Managers will face certain cultural differences when the new operation is opened. This memo will explain business protocols, rituals, interrelation mores and other aspects of the industrial relations environment in the local country.")

I would suggest that you begin writing your memo (since you are familiar with these cultural differences and I am not) and then I will help you edit it. You might want to just post a couple of pages at a time, so we can work on it as you go along.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Celine 1 / 2  
Thanks for the guidence.

So what your suggesting is that I could start off the memo using your opening, then zoom in to highlight the cultures of my country using a new paragraph for each issue?

Pls advise....
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Yes, I think that would be a good plan. :-) Start out with a general statement of what the memo is about, as I demonstrated (you can use mine if you like) and then use the subsequent paragraphs to discuss each of the issues. Your instructions don't say what the minimum word or page count is, but if it's meant to be close to 10 pages, you'll want to go into quite a bit of detail to fill it out.

Let me know if I can be of further help!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Celine 1 / 2  
Thank you Sarah...

what is the meaning of conflict as a business tool and work ethic differences?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'll have to make a guess as to the first part. It seems to me that conflict is only an effective business tool when it engenders discussion and results in more possible solutions to problems. Conflict without any resolution would tend to cause frustration and bad feelings.

Work ethic differences refers to the different ways that people approach their work. For example, some people can only do their best work when under the pressure of a tight deadline. When the heat is on, they produce results. Others do not like to be rushed, and prefer to have a schedule set out in advance, or an opportunity to mull over their plan of action before beginning. Some people procrastinate, but deliver at the end; others procrastinate and never really come through. A person's own personal work ethic is like an internal set of rules that the person lives by--whether or not that person is really aware of having the work ethic.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
celine phang - / 3  
Thank you Sarah.. I begin writing my memo with:

The purpose of this memo is to describe the cultural differences that the managers have to face in the new work environment and assisting managers to perform their task efficiently and effectively due to that cultural change.

And the second paragraph i would like to talk about the what is cultural differences like
- The language barrier
- Direct verses indirect communications strategies
- Conflict as a business tool
- Work-ethic differences

But i dont know how to begin writing in second paragraph????

Thank you in advance...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'd begin it with something like this:

There are a number of challenges presented by the cultural differences that managers will face. One of the more apparent ones is the language barrier.

Then, go on to describe what the language barrier is and how it might be a problem, and what the possible solutions to that are.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
celine phang - / 3  
Thank you sarah... your effort helps me lots in my case study. Well, i have another case study about airlines.

what is the changes that airlines implemented to become one of the most profitable airlines in the world
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

There should be a lot of good information on this subject online; I am always hearing news stories about some new cost-cutting idea airlines are implementing (which usually means bad news for the customer!). I would try, first off, just doing a general internet search using the terms "airlines cost cuts" or "airlines profits" or other combinations of pertinent terms. That should give you some ideas, which you can then try to narrow down a little. Also check out the websites of various airlines or their online magazines if they have one, to see if they have written stories about their money-saving changes. You could even try focusing your search on one airline in particular, as that might make it easier to find articles.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
celine phang - / 3  
Its great Sarah... You're amazing

I just wondering, do u help students to write up case study?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You're very welcome, I'm glad that helped! As for helping students write a case study, I suppose that depends upon what you mean by "help"! ;-)) We don't write papers for students, or do their research for them, but we help with ideas to get started (as you know) and give editing advice, once you have your rough draft. If you get stuck, I'd be glad to try to come up with some more ideas, and certainly, feel free to post your rough draft here and I'll help you edit it.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Grammar, Usage / How to write Memo about cultural differences to assist manager