Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Although you have never formally studied computing, you have always been interested in computers.

Tanu1 1 / 1  
Although you have never formally studied computing, you have always been interested in computers. You have just read about a computer course that really interests you, but it is only for people who have completed an elementary course.

Write a letter to the college enrolment officer

In your letter:
·explain why you are writing
·describe your circumstances
·ask if a special exception can be made for you so you can enrol in the course
You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir,
My name is James Smith and I am currently working as a full time manager in a motor vehicle company in the north-west region of the city. I am writing this letter with regards to computer course your institute is offering this spring. I am really interested in the course, but I have not completed the prerequisite for this new middle level course.

I did my under graduation in mechanics. After graduation, I started working as a mechanic in a North Car Company. Due to my dedication and continuous learning attitude, I am manager of the two stores of company in the area. Even though I did not obtain any official course credit in elementary computing, but due to my keen interest in computers, I made myself capable of operating a computer. As computer Knowledge is very crucial part of any business requirement. I did educate myself in different areas, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook for emails. Being a manager, I have to use computers to perform various functions at work for sending emails to clients, making monthly employee work reports, creating time sheets templates, etc.

When I read the elementary level course curriculum, I realized that I already have the skills and knowledge that is going to be teach in the course. Also, I am ready to give a mock exam, if you want to check my basic level knowledge of computers. So, I will really appreciate if you can waive the elementary course requirement for me and grant me permission to enrol in the new course in January 2019.

I am looking forward for a positive reply.

Thank you!
James Smith
Tania, you should open this letter not with a short resume, but rather a statement of interest in the intermediate computer course that is being offered. Offer an idea as to why you are interested in this class such as its application in your workplace. Then introduce the fact that you do not have the prerequisite basic computer training, but that you have practical training in the area.

The second paragraph should explain how you gained this practical training in your workplace. That is where you should introduce your undergraduate major and your current occupation, both in relation to the basic computer usage as required by the course. Indicate how you have the basic training due to certain job requirements and duties.

By the way, you are not going to give a mock exam. A mock exam is a pretend exam, it does not count for anything when you take it except as a practice run. What you are willing to take is an equivalency exam. That is the exam that will prove your claims of practical expertise as a computer beginner.

Overall, you did a relatively acceptable job of writing this letter. Except that you made a number of mistakes along the way due to your unfamiliarity with this sort of letter writing. I am sure my pointers will help you write a better letter next time. I look forward to reading your next attempt.
OP Tanu1 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for evaluation and comments. It helped me to understand where i am doing wrong. Thanks!

Home / Letters / Although you have never formally studied computing, you have always been interested in computers.