Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Appeal Letter to reconsider decision on granting with the Dean Scholarship

dcheco 1 / -  
Dear Financial Aid Committee,
My name is Darlenny Checo and I will be a sophomore this upcoming fall semester and I am writing this letter in hopes that you will reconsider your decision on granting me with the Dean Scholarship. The decision to not provide me with the scholarship was based on the fact that I failed to meet the minimum academic GPA of 3.0; my cumulative GPA for the Fall 2014/Spring 2015 academic year was a 2.61. I accept full responsibility for the loss of the scholarship and despite the decision made at the end of this letter I appreciate taking the time to read this letter.

By reading this letter, I hope this letter will help you understand my situation. My first semester I got a D in freshman seminar. This is because at the end of the semester we were taking a final exam and had to type a paper for the final grade, requiring everyone to attend class. Well i was not able to attend the class because the night before I had slipped on a wet floor and twisted my ankle. I emailed Professor Agostino explaining to him the situation; sending him the essay that was due in class in case I was not able to assist. The next morning I went to public safety to see if they would give me a ride to Dickinson Hall, but they said they could not give me a ride if I did not have a note from Student Health Services. I went to Student Health Services but by the time i was assisted and granted permission, the freshman seminar class was over.

I never got an email back, confirming whether or not the professor had received the email. Therefore I tried calling his office phone but there was no pickup either. So then I decided to email the dean of students Michelle McCroy. She did not respond immediately but when she did she asked me who was my professor and I responded with the information. I never got a reply back.

A few days after I responded to dean Michelle's email I received the news that my grandfather had passed away. My grandfather and I were very close but I did not get the chance to see him because he was in his native country of the Dominican Republic. His death took a toll on me, I was very emotional because I was not able to travel out the country due to an expired passport and because I was getting ready to move back into school to start the second semester. The first few weeks of the second semester I was not feeling myself and my mind was not in the right place. When I got myself together I was just concerned on doing good in my classes and did not continue trying to fix my grade for freshman seminar.

Although in all of my other classes I earned a B or C, I know I could have done so much better. Towards the end of the second semester, majority of my professors talked to me about my absences. I was absent often from several classes due to knee pain that made it difficult for me to walk. I went to Student Health Services about it but the nurse told me I had to go to an orthopedic doctor. I got in contact with an orthopedic doctor but the office did not have any available appointments until mid-June, which was not going to help me at all. I explained the situation to my professors but they said they needed doctors proof of what I was saying. As per teacher rules on the syllabus, a certain amount of absences lowers one's grade. So most of mine went down to B's or C's.

I did go to the scheduled appointment in June and an X-ray was done. As a result the doctor said i have tendinitis, resulting that I have to go to physical therapy three times a week. I have been going for the past two weeks and so far the therapist says my knee is swollen and the muscles in my knee is inflamed. Hopefully by the time the semester starts I will be able to walk normally and not have my knee as in issue. If anything, I did ask my orthopedic doctor for a note to give Student Health Services.

I am well aware that these circumstances are not a reason for letting my grades fall off, but I hope you understand the situation. I am also aware that it is a privilege to those students who meet the requirement, which I failed to meet. If I am granted this scholarship, I will work my hardest and respect the scholarship so that I can meet the requirements. I sincerely hope that my situation has appealed to you to reconsider your decision. Thank you again for taking the time for reading this letter and allowing me to explain my situation and my mistakes.

Also attached are copies the emails sent to my freshman seminar professor as well as the dean of student, my father's flight ticket to the Dominican Republic for proof of date to show when he left and the orthopedic note is also attached to the back of this letter. Any information you made need, you may contact me at
- .. this up coming fall semester..
- I appreciate you taking the time to read this letter.
- By reading this letter,(this phrase will not be necessary) I hope this letter will help..
- ...resulting thatthis means I have to go to..

The letter you have here is very moving and I believe it will give you a second chance on the scholarship.
What happened to you is very unfortunate and I salute you on being very brave and get back on your feet and try to win the scholarship back. Keep this attitude always with you because it's one secret to a successful person, being able to go out there and be courageous and face the challenges, believe me, not everyone can do what you are doing now.

I wish you the best of luck, let us know what happens, we would love to hear from you.

Home / Letters / Appeal Letter to reconsider decision on granting with the Dean Scholarship