Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

College Portfolio letter about why I chose the essays I did for my portfolio

aliciamohan 1 / -  
Alicia Mohan
Eng 123-14
Mrs. C
12/6/14
Dear Ms.Corbisiero,
Throughout this semester we have written many compositions. However in my portfolio I would like to include; the paper on college freshman dropouts, paper number one "The day at the beach," paper number three "Families," my research paper on SCAP Head Start, my essay about "A place at the table," my in class assignment Rocky, and the reflection on "The pursuit of happiness."

You might be wondering why I chose the pieces that I did, I chose them because they show how much I learned throughout this semester. We began the semester by writing paper one, for this paper I chose "The day at the beach was not at all what they expected." For this paper I had a lot of taboo words, taboo words meaning good, bad, contractions and etc. When I began college I did not know much about taboo words, in high school contractions and taboo words were accepted, but in college I learned differently.

Two other compositions would be the paper on college dropouts and my paper number three on families. For my paper on college dropouts I learned that open office and Microsoft word are different, as I wrote my paper I did not realize my font changed size as I switched from programs. I also learned about comma splices and how to make my ideas clear. For my essay on families I learned that if you use on the other hand you need to include both ideas in a way that others will see it. Also if you are talking abut the positives stick with the positives, and if you are talking about the negatives stick with the negatives.

Then we did in class assignments such as Rocky, and the reflection on "The pursuit of happiness." Rocky we had to choose one side either causes or effects, I learned if you choose causes then you should stick with it, do not drift off saying the effects. You have to make the ideas focused on one idea. For "The pursuit of happiness," I learned too much of a summary is not always a good thing.

I also chose "A place at the table," this was a video we watched and had to write an essay on it. However I mixed up my facts because I was trying to get it all down. I should have just wrote down the important information. I also learned that numbers ten and under you need to spell out, you cannot just write a number, and that you need a clear thesis statement.

Lastly I would like to include the research paper. For the research project I did my project on SCAP Head Start which is a comprehensive pre-school program for children that are 3-5 years old that prepares them for kindergarten. I wrote about why they removed transportation and how they could fix it. For this research project I wrote a letter to the director at SCAP telling him my concerns about kids not going to school because there is no transportation available to take them to and from school. I learned that this year all of the bus drivers at SCAP last their jobs, when they decided that there will be no more school buses for SCAP.

I have learned a lot this semester, I learned about taboo words, when to use contractions and what comma splices are. When I came from high school, I had no idea what a taboo word was or a comma splice. Although my writing is not perfect I know what I should avoid using when writing an essay. I also learned how to write a letter and how to sign an envelope. I never had to write a letter before, in high school it was never required. These compositions belong in my portfolio, because I learned something from each and every one. So if I have any questions, I could look back and see what I needed help with before and learn from that. Thank you for a great semester.

Sincerely,
Alicia Mohan
Alicia, you need to edit the cover letter for redundancies. You mention taboo words and sentence structure problems one too many times. Once you have already discussed a topic, there is no need to further discuss it later on. You can also improve the letter by closing it in such a way that reveals what you think of your writing abilities now. In your opinion, did your writing improve over the semester using these methods of learning? If you did, how did you notice that you were improving? Grade yourself personally on a scale of 1-10, what would that grade be? Most importantly, discuss how you hope to continue further improving your writing skills now that you have already finished this composition course.

Home / Letters / College Portfolio letter about why I chose the essays I did for my portfolio