Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

Computer Science Major (junior) wanting to pursue Master's in Business Administration

jaylee012 1 / 1  
I am not entirely sure that I would like to pursue a career in computer programming (even though I want to complete my degree in progress) and have taken a turn towards business. I recently started researching graduate school qualifications and I feel almost as clueless as before I started. Do I need professional work experience to be considered for graduate school? My work experience is almost nonexistent and is not professional. I know that grad schools look for evidence of leadership skills. What are some examples of organizations in which I can develop leadership skills? Are sports good? My GPA is not as good as it usually is (3.2/4.0). I am a student of an honors college. I scored a composite 25 on the ACT. Is my ACT score low and should I take the SAT? I feel as though I don't have anything that sets me apart from everyone else. Please help :) My resume is below. Should I include high school honors (MSMS is a school for academically gifted high school juniors and seniors. I was not allowed to attend because it was out of the city and all students were required to live on campus by the way D; ) on my resume and is there anything that I should omit?

EDUCATION:
Jackson State University Major: Computer Science Jackson, MS
Bachelor of Science Cumulative ACT Score: 25 May 2012

Claiborne County Vo-Tech Complex Study: Building Trades Port Gibson, MS
May 2008

SPECIALTIES & SKILLS: Certified in Microsoft Word 2000 by the National Computer Science Academy, WordPress, over 10 years Microsoft Office experience, Crystal Office, basic bookkeeping, Java programming language, MIPS assembly language, Windows operating system, Internet research, 10-key, patience, attention to detail, reliable, able to work in a team environment and work independently, work ethic, problem solving, organization, communication, quick learner

COURSEWORK: Speech Arts, Professional Writing, Calculus, Physics Java, programming language, MIPS assembly language

EXPERIENCE:
Jackson State University Jackson, MS
Fall '10 - March '11 Research Student
Analyzed participants' roles in open source software (OSS) communities using tools such as the R programming language and Structured Query Language (SQL) to perform principal component analysis (PCA), represented data using model-based clustering, wrote research papers, and recorded my progress on a website I co-created with WordPress.

Claiborne County Public Schools Port Gibson, MS
Summer '07 Tutor
Prepared 4th and 5th grade students, including some with special needs, for the Mississippi Curriculum Test, Edition 2 (MCT 2) by giving practice work to reinforce the mathematics and reading/language skills that were presented in the curriculum, reviewed with them, observed their performance, recorded their progress, and supervised them while their teacher was away. The students' comprehension and problem-solving skills improved greatly.

COMMUNITY SERVICE: Tutored Port Gibson, MS elementary school students after school and gave energy efficient light bulbs to Jackson, MS residents.

HONORS & ACTIVITIES: W. E. B. Du Bois Honors College, Who's Who Among American Universities and Colleges, Advertising Committee in Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), accepted into the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS)
Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
I would try creating a portfolio online for all of your work such as your Java programs or wordpress sites.
You could also look into FBLA-PBL, that's a fantastic organization to get into relating to business - they provide tons of community service and leadership opportunities. :]
OP jaylee012 1 / 1  
Thanks I will definitely look into that. Is professional experience necessary to be accepted into graduate school (business)?
It's all about the story. A long time passed before I realized that. I wanted to write, because I was good at it, and I especially wanted to write nonfiction... maybe self-help.

So, I was not interested in writing stories. But after some years, I realized that every step we take must include a story, because that is what people love. I can get traffic to a website with a story, and I can get hired for a writing project if I use a story.

A story is what you need here. It is a lot simpler than you think.

I am not entirely sure that I would like to pursue a career in computer programming (even though I want to complete my degree in progress) and have taken a turn towards business. -------- programming will always be a part of your life, and business is part of life for almost everyone. But what is the story that inspires you? Describe the story, and you will be excavating your various areas of current and future specialization.

I recently started researching graduate school qualifications and I feel almost as clueless as before I started. Do I need professional work experience to be considered for graduate school? ------You should tell a story about what is happening now and in these next 3 years. The story begins here. All you need is a plan.

You probably have no plan, though, because only the most motivated people have one. Do you have one? I challenge you to have a plan! Only the most motivated people actually create a timeline for themselves and impose deadlines on themselves... but those are the people who will make a big splash in this world.

Do not worry about committing to a career. Just commit to a goal you want to achieve for your life or society. It will require you to develop certain skills. If it requires this program to which you are applying, the reader will feel a responsibility to open this door for you.

:-)

Home / Letters / Computer Science Major (junior) wanting to pursue Master's in Business Administration