Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Email to Penpal Friend form Singapore about the studying of English

IAMROSE 1 / 1  

my english skills need to be improved

Hi Matt,

First of all, I want to give you the best wishes and thank you for visiting me via your message. You are right, this year, 2020 - the first year of the new decade, I want to improve myself more in English, especially speaking and writing skills.

About speaking, I have signed in the English Speaking Club near my house and I will have 3 sessions in a weak to practice speaking. I will concentrate on expanding my range of vocabulary in various topics, pronounce the word faster and more naturally and decrease the feeling of nervous when starting a conversation with a foreigner

About writing skill, I will apply "DO-CORRECT-REMEMBER" method, which means I complete an essay about relevant topics on my own, send it to advisors for correction and lastly, renew the essays with advisor's comments

I believe that practice makes perfect so just improve my English by my best

Best Regard
ROSE

I want to make this email more advance in the way of using vocabularies and structure - Thank you for all comments for improvement
There is a clear problem with your understanding of homonyms and how to use them in the essay. Homonyms are words that sound alike bu thave different spelling and meaning. In this case, you said you would attend English lessons "3 sessions a weak". "Weak" implies a lack of strength. You meant to say "week" which indicates the successive number of times, over 7 days that you will be doing an activity. Please do more English reading exercises, make sure to look up the meaning of words, and remember the meaning and word usage. Pay particular attention to possible homonyms you might come across.

Let's also consider your word usage. There is a difference between "especially" and "specially". Especially means, "exceptional, noteworthy, or particular.". While "specially" connotes , "particular, distinguished in a distinct way, or designed for a particular purpose.". Based on your word usage, you wanted to use the adjective "specially". Not the adverb "Especially". These are word usage lessons that you should come across as you continue to build your vocabulary through the use of English reading materials. It would help if you can read the dictionary before using a word during your practice sessions, just so you will be informed as to how to properly use the term in a sentence.

Your last sentence is incoherent. It does not make any sense. Perhaps you meant to say; "I believe that practice makes perfect. So I will do my best to practice my English skills on my own." ? By the way, you forgot to use a period at the end of that sentence. Also, you should say "Best regards" not "Best regard". It's all a matter of word usage and proper understanding of the meaning of the word you want to use. That is your weakest point at the moment. You cannot advance in vocabulary and structure overnight. That is something that happens with constant repetition and practice.

As a student, you need to be patient and just keep on reading and writing in English to better understand how the sentences are formed. If possible, watch more English subtitled films to get a better idea of the English sentence structure, equivalent English word (from the vernacular), and proper meaning of the English words.
OP IAMROSE 1 / 1  
Hello Mr Hold, thank you for your presious advice. I will take note all of your comments and fina a way to improve my weakneses which were mentioned above. By the way, can you recommend for me some websites or English materials that I can pratice more on my English problem?

Once again, thank you a lot Mr @Holt

Home / Letters / Email to Penpal Friend form Singapore about the studying of English