Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

This is a Letter to my Favorite Pair of Socks.

JamieBishop 1 / 1  
Please give me some feedback; this is my first draft of my commonapp open topic essay.

Letter to my favorite pair of socks.

Dear socks,

I'm looking down at you right now, and you're a perfect fit for my chubby feet. We've had a rather lengthy friendship, as far as human to sock friendships go. It's been a solid three years, and I never thought I'd appreciate you as much as I do now. I believe that I admire you so much because I am drawn to qualities that I have or wish to have, if that makes an inkling of sense. If you, a pair of retail-store bought socks, can successfully do what's needed of you, people should be able to accomplish the tasks that are asked of them, as well.

But this is a letter to you, socks. You haven't got a hole or tear and your stitching is just as strong as ever. I find this to be a very positive attribute in a pair of socks. The ability to be put in any situation and still fulfill your necessary duty, that's what you do for me. You serve as a barrier between my skin and shoe, protecting me from the discomfort of sticky toes. I can be found wearing you in my work shoes, or in my stage crew shoes. You're just generic, brown socks, nothing flashy. I prefer you this way; neutral and versatile. I can wear you with anything. I can't wear neon green, glow-in-the-dark, ridiculously patterned socks at any given time, but you, on the other hand, can be worn whenever you're needed. A reliable regular pair of brown socks can be worn during the summer while I'm on vacation, or can be paired up and be worn outside in a snow storm. Likewise, I think the ability for a person to be versatile is an important ability to possess. I try to be like you. I try to be well-rounded in all areas rather than have an expertise in one area, and lack competence in another. I feel that too many people and socks get caught up in trying to look impressive and don't end up fully succeeding in their obligations. You're the best pair of socks I own because you don't try to win people over with surface features; you win them over with your actual reliability. You don't come up to high on my ankle, as an attempt to brag about how well you're keeping my foot warm, but you also don't slip down underneath my heel. You're shining with confidence and dependability. You've raised my expectations for myself, other people, and other socks. I feel that an "average" pair of socks becomes above average when one realizes those particular socks' ability to carry out its responsibilities with stability. An "average" person becomes above average when they successfully carry out their responsibilities.

I know it's ridiculous, but the things that make you my favorite pair of socks are the same traits that I seek to attain for myself. Other people may not even have a favorite pair of socks, but they've clearly never had a pair of socks like you. You're faithful, socks. It'd be ideal if people decided to be as conditionally durable as you are. If enough effort is being put into one's function, then one is truly successful at what they do. Tackling numerous tasks with ease is a preferred characteristic, and you have it. You've seen the floor of Brookfield Theater for the Arts; you've seen the cobblestones near Cinderella's Castle. You've been trick-or-treating with me and you've been exposed to the sandy hardwood floors of my living room. You were there on the pavement on that chilly May evening after my first ever junior prom, when I was glowing with eagerness from head to socks. Perhaps I'll wear you this Christmas with my family, and to graduation as well. I can assure you that you'll be one of the first items packed in my suitcase for my first year of college.

Sincerely,
Jamie.
sonya15 4 / 29  
This is amazingly creative.

You don't come up to too high on my ankle, as an attempt to brag about how well you're keeping my foot warm, but you also don't slip down underneath my heel.

I love this line: I can wear you with anything. I can't wear neon green, glow-in-the-dark, ridiculously patterned socks at any given time, but you, on the other hand, can be worn whenever you're needed.

I think it would work better in your essay though if you connected it to people in general, or yourself. You seem to spend the first half talking about your socks and the rest talking about yourself. Try to mesh the two.

Would you read mine?

Thanks!
OP JamieBishop 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback! And I can't believe I used the wrong form of "to" hahaha that's embarrassing. Thank you again :)

Home / Letters / This is a Letter to my Favorite Pair of Socks.