Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

UK CV format - personal profile, delayed graduation, strange background

Vovaizanglia 2 / 4  
Dear everyone,

I am in serious need of advice as I have failed getting any interview after months of job searching. I feel that the problem is that I juggled "too much" ever since I started university, i.e. I got over-involved with too many responsibilities, student societies, etc. that I wasn't able to finish my undergrad degree on time (almost 2 years late). Currently I have only 4 exams remaining, but still it seems impossible to convince people to employ me, even for temp or part-time jobs.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding my personal profile, since it is the "opener".

"A resilient and mindful student equipped with a versatile, globalization-proof skill-set that I aim to offer at [e.g. an internship in the XXX sector].

I have juggled university with a diverse range of volunteer and leadership roles that saw me building teams as well as external relations both locally and abroad.

Six languages allow me to reach out into life and business in a multitude of peoples/cultures and are backed online by solid IT and web marketing skills that I have matured since childhood."

Also... most CV guides suggest to omit any information older than 5-6 years, however I feel that I have built (self-learned) my most useful skills (e.g. online marketing, languages) while I was a kid... do you think this can sound strange, or that I should explain more (e.g. could I list websites I created when I was 11 years old?)

Thank you
I am in serious need of advice as I have failed getting any interview after months of job searching.

You and half the other people I know... lots of people are having trouble lately that way..

This means very little. Would this get your attention as an interviewer, or would it just appear as the same sort of general stuff you see on every resume and application?

If you were reading this, you would skip right past this sentence and skim until you got to a sentence that really informed you of something you might use to take a guess about the candidate.

I have juggled university with a diverse range of volunteer and leadership roles in settings that include _______, ________, and __________ where I built teams as well as external relations both locally and abroad. ---- those blanks to fill in are places where you can give the reader some solid info.

Here is some excellent, solid info:
Six languages allow me to reach out...---- very impressive, solid information.
Fix it this way:
Proficiency in six languages enables me to reach...

So... fill this with more specific, solid info, and take out the general, fluffy things like "resilient, versatile," etc. Those words mean very little.

Anyway, despite the fact I'm giving this suggestion, the truth is that your presentation is impressive and that jobs are just hard to get sometimes!! Don't lose your high spirits! Try being a freelancer part time

elance.com
OP Vovaizanglia 2 / 4  
EFKevin, thanks a lot for your answer and encouragement :)

It's just that I've been searching a lot and I almost feel too old (graduating 2 years later than expected is not a small detail).

But I'll try this - thanks for all your suggestions!

Home / Letters / UK CV format - personal profile, delayed graduation, strange background