Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

[GKS-G] Letter Of Recommendation on behalf of my PROFFESOR for application to SNU

ViktoriAnders 1 / -  
Hi! Can you give me feedback on this Recommendation Letter from my supervisor? It is for the Global Korean Scholarship. Thank You!

Recommendation letter

To Whom It May Concern:
With Pleasure, I bring my high recommendation of Andriianova Viktoriia for consideration of Interdisciplinary Program of Urban Design at Seoul National University. I have been her supervisor since the start of this academic year (September 2021). Through me, The Department of Architecture in our university has decided to suggest the thesis topic « Satellite City in the Irkutsk agglomeration», which Ms. Andriianova enthusiastically has decided to be a part of.

Furthermore, as the Head of the Department, I participate in semester reviews of the final projects and often spot talented students. Some of Ms. Andriianova's projects were selected by the Department of Architectural Design to be kept in the University's collection and are often sent to different Regional/National exhibitions. This is partly why the Department decided to let her take up such an ambitious and challenging thesis. I am pleasantly surprised with how well she is handling it. Although I have not had the pleasure of working with her until the final year. In the past few months, I have conducted the key characteristics of Ms. Andrianova in the academic field of work.

First of all, she has proven to be a very capable, creative student. She is easy to tutor and has the type of spatial thinking necessary for both architects and urban planners. Ms. Andriianova demonstrated excellent analytical skills in conducting a comprehensive detailed analysis of the planning site and creating an eligible analytical framework to be used as a foundation of the project.

Work on the thesis requires frequent meetings with the actual stakeholder of the land. During these meetings, I ascertained that Ms. Andriianova possesses excellent communicational abilities. She speaks with modesty and takes constructive criticism, which I often give, with a positive attitude and humbleness. This soft skill will be very useful for teamwork projects as well as is in the future research career, if Ms. Andriianova decides to follow it. She has great problem-solving skills as well. As in such big urban planning projects, mistakes are bound to happen; Ms. Andrianova quickly generates solutions in complex situations. In addition, knows how to compare real urban design issues with our conceptual project.

Victoria's talents and motivations are not limited strictly to university projects. As far as I am concerned, she is highly active in the civiс organization. She always tries to keep abreast of all architectural events in Irkutsk and is very keen to put her knowledge into practice while still getting her Bachelor's Degree. I often suggest reading new academic literature to broaden the horizon, she is always eager to pick it up from the library, she is fascinated by new modern approaches to urban design and development.

Ms. Andriianova often takes an interest in new international technologies/ methods in architecture and urban planning. A new environment and culture will certainly unleash her potential. It is with the utmost confidence that I recommend Andriianova Viktoriia to your program. I am sure you will find her equally impressive.
There are conflicting statements in the recommendation letter. An example of the conflict is with regards to the thesis topic. The first statement was that the thesis topic was suggested by the professor and some other people to the student. In the later part, it appears that the student actually proposed the topic, which was then approved for research. Such lack of clarity in the presentation affects the way that the reviewers may receive the information being presented. Perhaps this is due to the lack of English grammar skills of the writer. It is fairly common for ESL writers to make such conflicting references in their recommendation letters. Basically, the letter will benefit from a professional rewrite to help make it more aligned with the writing standards of the GKS scholarship.

Home / Letters / [GKS-G] Letter Of Recommendation on behalf of my PROFFESOR for application to SNU