Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

My goal to be a successful interdisciplinary bioinformatics scientist. Cover letter for scholarship

thanhbuu 1 / 1  
This is my cover letter for a scholarship, please revise and give your idea, is it persuasive?
Please allow me to censor some of the names and works! Thank you!
Your help is really appreciated!

-------------------------

My interest in being a Student intern, 2017

Dear X Internship representatives,
My name is ABC, and I am currently the fourth-year medical student majoring in A1 at A2 University. With great motivation, I am writing this letter to inform you of my interest in being a Student intern, 2017.

Being a medical student, I have seen many people suffering from cancer do not have the fortune to be diagnosed in the early stage; hence, they had to endure chemotherapy, radiation therapy to prolong their life, but most of them will die with sorrow in a short period of time later. Worldwide, many cancer research have been conducted to understand the mechanism of cancer in order to have the appropriate treatment. However, effective cure of cancer is still a quest. Therefore, this scientific specialty drives me a huge ambition in investigating the underlying regulatory disturbance of cancer, the prevention and hopefully the effective treatment in late stage recognized cancer.

In November, 2016, I came across the announcement looking for bioinformatic student researcher of Dr. A from University B. As a student who keens on computer science and genomic field, I actively contacted him and I was introduced to the cancer subtype identification project. Our job is to develop a method to identify cancer subtypes, currently, we are comparing different methods of subtyping in R language. [Lists of what I have done in the research]. Also, I have advanced my knowledge in genomic field and the available technology to analyze the gene sequence. This work offers me a great opportunity to explore my curiosity in bioinformatics, to combine computer science skills with genomic field and to enhance my self-studying skills in doing research.

I began to write codes 10 years ago, and mathematical and computer science algorithms have always been my passion ever since. With my persevering effort, I have achieved prestigious prizes in several competitions First prize of City Excellent Student Contest conducted by Department of Education and Training. However, I applied to medical school because I wanted to learn and understand the mechanisms of diseases and regulatory of human body with a medical perspective. I am earnestly determined to pursue a career in the combination of biology and computer science. Having participated in several research during my undergraduate years, I have been desirous of discovering health problems on the molecular unit such as genome with my computer science ability. As a result, I believe that bioinformatics is the field that will develop me to the fullest.

I regard myself as a quick learner, with every new knowledge and techniques, I invest time to excel necessary skills and techniques, and I am willing to pass them on to my colleagues. I absolutely believe that my personality, experiences in doing research, programming skills and a strong determination will make me a perfect fit for the program. Therefore, I would like to express my interest in the position in C. I desire to put my heart into the project, and I wish to contribute my full effort in doing data analysis at the Center. Also, it will be an opportunity for me to improve my skills by acquiring the center's research techniques. At X Center, not only do I expect to gain knowledge, but I also expect to improve lifetime experience and develop personal growth. Furthermore, it has always been my desire to pursue a PhD in bioinformatics since I want to impart my knowledge to Vietnamese young scientists due to the fact that bioinformatics is currently not a common study field and I am yearned for encouraging innovation to control cancer morbidity and mortality rates by bioinformatics.

In conclusion, if given a privilege to work with the world-class and diverse researchers at C, my goal to be a successful interdisciplinary bioinformatics scientist will come true as my knowledge and ability will reach higher level. In addition, this internship offers educational opportunities and experience to share multicultural values from one of the world's top institution, which is straight to my long-term career's goals of building international connection.

Yours sincerely,
ABC.
Buu, this does not sound like a scholarship application letter at all. This sounds more like a cover letter for a person applying to become a research intern. Which one are you really applying to? If the research position is part of the scholarship application then that is not clear at all in your letter. There is no sense of how these skills of yours, added to your previous and current work experience will be of an asset to a future scholar. Basically, there is a lack of tie-in between the scholarship and the information that you present in this letter. Did you perhaps submit the wrong letter for review here? If so, then you have to start a new thread and post the correct letter. This current letter is not something that I believe will help you win a scholarship application because the content is a far cry from the information that a scholarship cover letter requires.
OP thanhbuu 1 / 1  

I am sorry that I am just a newbie in writing cover letter or motivation letter, I think this is like the motivation letter more than a cover letter, isn't it? I want to win a scholarship to do intern oversea as a student. There is a lot of recommendations on the internet but I don't know which one should be good. Thank you for helping me. I am looking for your advise!

Home / Letters / My goal to be a successful interdisciplinary bioinformatics scientist. Cover letter for scholarship