Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Letter about holidays around Brazil (Correction needed)

martabenvinda 2 / 3  
Hi,

I'm studying for a profficiency test and one of the skills required is writing. So that I'm trying to develop it but I really need some help on the correction. The text below is supposed to be a letter to Charlotte about how is the holydays in my country. Thanks in advance!

Holidays in Brazil

Hello, Charlotte!

How have you been? I hope everything is all right with you.

Well, you're right! Here it's New Years Eve. Brazilian people really love celebrating and having parties. But sometimes, we don't have such a lot of spare time because of the tough daily routine, so we tend to travel on holidays for visiting our relatives and friends that live in different cities from us or we simply haven't seen for long ages. Then, we enjoy the time visiting the sightseeings around the cities, going to parties, making friends with people we meet during the trip, and, of course, catching up on the news!

Others like myself, prefer to stay at home. Although it doesn't mean we don't have fun. Because we really do! Inviting some friends to come over, surfing the Internet, reading books and watching movies are the usual activities in this case. As you might remember, today is also my birthday! So, I usually go to the Church at night, and after that, I have a birthday and a New Years Eve party at the same time! I just love it!

I hope I have helped you in your research project on holidays around the world. And by the way, a blessed New Year for you and your family!

Hugs,

Your penfriend,

Marta.
Pottergirl19 5 / 15  
I liked your letter! I just have a few suggestions for you

1. such a lot of spare time --> much spare time
2. , so we tend to travel on holidays for visiting our relatives and friends that live in different cities from us or we simply haven't seen for long ages .--> no comma before so; so we tend to travel on holidays. That's when we can visit our relatives and friends who live in cities far from us, or who we simply haven't seen for a long time .

(saying long ages isn't wrong, it just sounds very awkward. I would say either "a long time" or just "ages")

3. Then, we enjoy --> We enjoy
4. visiting the sightseeings --> going sightseeing
5. and, of course --> I wouldn't put a comma here, but it is fine if you are using it for effect.
6. Others like myself --> Others, like myself
7. Although it doesn't mean we don't have fun. Because we really do! --> But that doesn't mean we don't have fun. We really do!

8. reading books and watching --> reading books, and watching
9. the usual activities in this case. --> the usual things we do at home.
10.So, I usually
11. the Church --> unless the church is actually called The Church, or you use the specific name of the church, church is not capitalized

12. I have a birthday party and
13. project on holidays --> project about holidays
14. penfriend --> usually we say penpal, but either way is fine

Home / Letters / Letter about holidays around Brazil (Correction needed)