Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Should I include a speaking occasion on my CV if I never actually spoke?

Ellan 2 / 7  
I am applying for grad programs in media studies.

I have some experience in media production and a film I made was in a festival. I flew across the country to attend the festival--I was invited and scheduled to speak on a panel of filmmakers--but the organizers messed up and I never got to do my talk/Q&A. Should I include this speaking occasion as a line on my CV?

Note: It wouldn't be in the same section as academic conferences. It would be under "speaking occasions," which are my less formal talks.

A similar note: I was hired to teach at a community college. Long story unexplained, in the middle of the semester, the department asked me to step down from my teaching position and resume it the following semester. Should I include this job on my CV? (I never went back the following semester)

Thanks a lot...delicate and somewhat embarrassing issues. This forum rocks.
keilinger 9 / 53  
I wouldn't put the speaking position on your CV. If they ask you questions about it at an interview, it'll be awkward. I also wouldn't list any commitments shorter than half a year. Is there some way you could note them, perhaps on an attached sheet? The talk at the festival could be impressive, and it's not your fault that it didn't happen. I have zero experience with grad school applications, though, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.

And yes, this forum rocks! :-)
Well, inspiration is a tricky wave to catch. The important thing is to try to muster some real spirit to splash onto the page. You can talk about these experiences honestly, exactly as they occurred, and let your introspection and observation reflect your thoughtful personality.

There is no sure answer to the question you pose, here. The trick is to wait for inspiration to come, and capture the inspired stuff. You can talk about what went right and what went wrong in a way that expresses your good intentions and scholarly aspiration.

Home / Letters / Should I include a speaking occasion on my CV if I never actually spoke?