Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Informal email to a proposed PhD supervisor

Hayu 1 / 5 1  

contact with a supervisor regarding PhD scholarship

Hello all, this is my first time when I try to contact the proposed supervisor for my PhD scholarship.
Would you please read it and give your feadback please? Besides I would be pleased if you tell me weather to use it as a letter or just email.

FYI: I will attach a CV which will show about my education achievements, thesis title, publication and work experience.

Dear Professor ---

Since my introduction to the wireless communication I was aware of the bandwidth being one of the scarce resources. And now with having an increased demand and latest technologies with the need of larger bandwidths makes me more interested towards upgrading my knowledge and skills in to do research on the area to contribute to the academic and research discoveries that will lead to the balance of both. That is the main reason for me to concentrate on spectrum utilization efficiency improvement on my masters thesis.

Millimeter-wave spectrum is one of the main underutilized bands which can be make use of the upcoming technologies like 5G. But this mm-wave has its own limitations which needs enhancements to make use of it. One of the solutions is having a good antenna design so that it will be capable of overcoming the loss, attenuation and other factors.

Having this in mind I was looking for a supervisor and lab I could work with to improve my knowledge and skill and contribute for the new findings being solutions for the obstacles in the area of my interest. That is when I came across to your journals about resource allocation, antenna design and 5G mm-wave communication. This leads me for the further investigations of the works done by you and your students and assistances. To my biggest surprise for a person like me who is interested doing a research focusing on a system capable of providing a good communication with efficient resource utilization --- Lab is perfect.

I would be happy to be part of your students to work on the ... (title of project) so that I could not only enhance my knowledge, team and individual research skill on the area but also to I will be a good asset and have my contribution too.

I know PhD is challenging and may face failure but I am capable of facing the challenges and stand up again in facing a failure and carry on to accomplish mine and my teammate goals.

sincerly
rockprincess 7 / 12  
As a regular reader, the terminology is related to communication engineering which I rarely understand. however, you need to write the reason for writing at the beginning of the letter. also, I could not understand this sentence, it might be so long and need punctuation. try to divide it in simple sentences.

And now with having an increased ...

good luck, be aware of spelling
Hayat, your presentation for this internship / student assistant application is incorrect. You need to open the letter with a statement of admiration for the career of the professor. That should then lead into how you learned about his latest project. Close that paragraph with a reference to how your own research might be able to support his own work if he accepts to become your PhD supervisor.

The next paragraph should explain the similarities and supporting points of your work with the professor's and vice versa. By showing how your research projects intertwine, you may be able to convince the professor that you have the research foundation that may be considered useful in the completion of his project. Then inform the professor about your other training and educational accomplishments that he might wish to consider for your application. Explain why you chose him to be your supervisor in particular. Don't forget to inquire IF the professor still has room for one more student in his roster. Don't just assume he will as it appears in your current letter.

Close the essay with a statement as to what you hope to accomplish with your own research project through your exposure to the professor's actual work. Clarify where you found out that he uses student assistants as part of his research team.

Your letter has room for improvement but has the potential to create interest on the part of the professor. Good luck with your inquiry.

Home / Letters / Informal email to a proposed PhD supervisor