Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Investigation of the corrosion inhibitive behavior of some quinoxaline derivatives; Chemistry letter

zouzou 1 / 3  
hi everyone,
i'm applying for my first postdoc position and I was hopping you could help me by proofreading my cover letter .
any form of help is appreciated.
thanks.

Dear Dr. Mu-Hyun Baik,

I am writing to express my interest in the post doctoral position available in your laboratory that was recently listed on the XXXXX website. I obtained my PhD on theoretical chemistry last December from XXXX university.

My PhD research work involved a theoretical investigation of the corrosion inhibitive behavior of some quinoxaline derivatives, part of which was dedicated to the study of their Iron complexes. Two articles reporting these results should be submitted to publication by the end of 2015. Also, during my master's degree I have participated to a research on the formation of alkali metal complexes with amino acids ligands. Hence, I am particularly interest by your research on organometallics.

During my PhD I was the lead author of five research articles. I was also given the opportunity to present my research findings during several invited talks, which allows me to improve my confidence and public speaking skills.

My academic goal is to further enhance and broaden my research experience within a diverse and dynamic research team and I believe this motivation alongside my academic qualifications would enable me to be a positive addition to your team.

I have enclosed a copy of my curriculum vitae. If you require additional information please contact me via email or phone.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
XXXX
Zineb, is there any way that you can come up with a research interest on your part that directly relates to the current research being undertaken by Dr. Baik? Normally, these professors / scientists prioritize the applicants whose current or previous research work (both published and ongoing) have some direct or indirect relationship with their current research work. In a meeting of minds and need for analytical inputs, understanding the research work and demands of Dr. Baik's experiments and research calls for people with similar backgrounds in order to produce his expected or unexpected results.

While your own accomplishments in the field of research will be noted during your application, it won't really be one of his top choices because you do not even show any interest in his current field of research. The aim of your letter should be to get the position in the laboratory by convincing him that your abilities and related learning in the field is something that he cannot afford to pass up.

So the aim of your letter should be two-fold. First, it should sell you as a candidate who shares his interests and has some ideas of your own that you believe will be able to help him further enhance his own research. Second, to share your remarkable credentials with him for his consideration as a candidate for the post. The first objective should be your main focus and should take up most of the letter as much as possible.

The rest of your letter only needs a few more grammar adjustments. Those can wait until after the letter has been strengthened by revising the content though. I hope my advice helps :-)
OP zouzou 1 / 3  
thank you Luisa
I will post the revised letter ASAP
thanks again

Home / Letters / Investigation of the corrosion inhibitive behavior of some quinoxaline derivatives; Chemistry letter