Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

Im still here if you want to know me - Stanford roommate essay

quietly_me 1 / 3  
I would like to answer the Stanford essay prompt. I have the first few paragraphs down but I dont know how to continue. Here is it

first experience of the usa

Prompt: Write a note to future roommate to help them know you and (us too)

Dear Roomie,
I'd text but my phone is charging right now, so I decided to keep it old school and write a letter.
If you are reading this, you probably woke up from my alarm clock, I'm still trying to work that thing. I'm totally sorry so I decided to grab you breakfast - If you don't mind though and it will still be hot when I get back.

First things first ,I'm the realest but I'm also an only child, please I'm begging, don't believe those stereotypes about us being stingy, lonely and stuff like that. I actually have friends, not a thousand of them but close intimate friends that I actually care about and congrats because you are one of them

This will actually be my first time in the United States and I would love to have my first experience with you and maybe I will buy a camera to capture fun memories together and make funny roomie videos just like Cath in College. Before you get pissed at my constant taking of pictures and go for a roommate change, please hear me out.

I wanted to begin describing Stanford at this point and connect it with me and my roomie connecting as really good friends but i dont know how to.

I really need help and you can critique the essay - show no mercy to it

I am also a Nigerian, so can I add that to the essay
Maria, a simple introduction that includes the fact that you are Nigerian would have been the better opening for this letter. From there, you can tell her all about what makes you uniquely Nigerian that an American or any fellow foreign roommate might find strange or a turn off about you based upon your culture. This is your chance to introduce certain things that your roommate may not expect regarding your character and eccentricities. This introduction should be light and not related so much to the academics of the university but rather, open an avenue of communication and planning for you and your roommate with regards to how you can jointly enjoy your social time after classes. It would be in your best interest though, to explain to your future roommate regarding your study habits if you feel like you have some weird study concepts. Make sure that you let your roommate know that you will be introducing him to Nigerian culture as well by say, taking charge of the meal time once a week or something. A sense of openness when it comes to cultural understanding would be key in helping the strange feel at home with you in the room. After all, your roommate will be the closest to family that you will have on campus. So work on enticing your roommate to be open with you when it comes to any problems you may have with each other. These are the sort of information that will help ease the stranger into your life and also introduce you to the dorm guardian.
OP quietly_me 1 / 3  
I'm a girl actually, but can you give me a simple introduction, so I could have an idea. It will really be nice.
Thank you for your answer though

can someone please help me with this essay
chizy7 6 / 52 14  
Your first paragraph got me confused when I read it and then the second paragraph because your first paragraph seems like you already know and live with your room mate while the rest states otherwise.

If the essay is about you meeting your room mate and introducing yourself for the first time, you can start by saying you are Nigerian(like Holt suggested). The part where you wrote about buying a camera to capture moments with your room mate, it's really nice and I think that has a deep connection and sends a message that you are not just room mates but friends.

You can also write about your reading habits/style or if you are a morning person and so on. I think that's the first things your room mate will notice when living with you .

Home / Letters / Im still here if you want to know me - Stanford roommate essay