Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

"a lot less stress on me" - Letter for Financial Aid

aisle5 1 / -  
This is my letter written to my financial aid office to request a bursary. Any edits, comment, or suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance!

My name is ------ and I have been admitted to study abroad during Spring 2012 at the University of ----. I am writing to more personally explain my financial situation and hope that my appeal for this bursary comes across clear and accurate.

During the process of deciding whether this international study experience would be a feasible option for me, cost was a huge factor that almost stopped me from applying. I had never been much of a spender and such a large investment on a three-month experience seemed almost irresponsible given my conditions. Money has been tight for my family ever since we have immigrated to Canada twelve years ago. My father is retired and my mother fluctuates back and forth between working part-time and being laid off. It is not that we have ever done without the essentials; it is simply that we do not have some of the luxuries that other people take for granted. As such, it has not always been possible for me to rely on parental aid for my education. Beginning at a young age, I have always felt a personal responsibility to lessen the stress that my parents have in supporting me. At the age of 14, I began babysitting and running errands to begin earning a bit for myself. At the age of 16, I acquired a part-time job working five days a week while balancing high school with work. Those four academic years were very stressful to say the least. Between picking up extra shifts and performing impressively as a student, I did not have much time for anything else. Because of these hardships, I am truly grateful to have been accepted to my program of choice at the University of -----

My next obstacle now involves setting aside enough savings in order to make this experience worthwhile. Even with my parent's blessings to "worry less about money and worry more about enjoying myself", I feel anxious about the road ahead. I have already calculated a budget I will allow myself to spend, however, this tight plan involves many sacrifices. I should state that my prime reason for wanting to engage in a term abroad lies with a piece of advice a former employer once gave me. He told me that traveling is the only way of acquiring an education great enough to decide which career path one should take. I agree with him that traveling could be the means of obtaining an expanded set of values to live by. This bursary would mean more to me than simply a sum of money. It would give me the opportunity to fully soak up the culture and immerse myself in new experiences. I sincerely see this aid as being a catalyst for life changing experiences.

I would tremendously appreciate receiving financial assistance to say the least. For one thing, it would undoubtedly place a lot less stress on me in terms of not having to save incessantly. I don't wish to forgo a rare opportunity for self-exploration due to financial reasons. This bursary could be the relief to my afflictions. Of course, I understand that there are plenty of other candidates who are in a similar position to me as well. Because of this, I can only hope that the most needed will receive assistance. Thank you for your time in reviewing my application.
I am writing to more personally explain my financial situation in hopes that my appeal for this bursary comes across clearly and accurately .

I have never been much of a spender, and such a large investment on a three-month experience seemed almost irresponsible, given my conditions.

Money has been tight for my family ever since we have immigrated to Canada twelve years ago.

At the age of 16, I acquired a part-time job working five days a week while balancing high school with work. ---If you tell what that job was, it will make your essay more personal, which could help.

Those four academic years were very stressful, to say the least.

Even with my parent's blessings to "worry less about money and worry more about enjoying yourself ", ---If you're quoting them, you must say it the way they would.

I don't wish to forgo a rare opportunity for self-exploration due to financial hardship .

Of course, I understand that there are plenty of other candidates who are in a similar position. to me as well.

Good luck, I hope this works out for you!!

:)

Home / Letters / "a lot less stress on me" - Letter for Financial Aid