Home / Letters   % width Posts: 25

Making a cover letter for summer internship in finance - someone with some experience?

24mandrake 1 / 12  
hello, i'm looking for someone that can help me to do a cover letter for finance application for summer internship.

I cannot do the cover letter by myself, who has the experience to help me ? maybe in pvt it's better. i can pay for this service.

Thank you.
We do not really offer professional writing services here. We are all volunteers who help you with your writing problems by helping you to revise and edit your work through free advice. I suggest that you try to write the letter on your own and post it here for our review. Once you have done some of the work, we can jump in with our advice regarding how to better improve your letter, what to delete, and what you need to revise. We can help you fix the paper. There is also an urgent version of our services that I suggest you look into if you wish to get the job done faster. We don't really work for a fee here. Our services are free of charge to anyone who comes here looking for advice :-) I suggest that you take advantage of it. We are all more than happy to help you develop and revise your letter :-) Just post a draft of your letter along with instructions as to what you want us to help you with so that we can get started.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
My Threads

Okay I understand. The fact is that I have always had difficulty in making it by myself, and for that I'd like you to help me to make one that is valid for all summer internship in which I will participate.

In practice, i'm at first year of MSc in Finance of Italian University based in Milan.

From March 2014 to August 2014 - I had work in Tax and Corporate consulting for a internship and my role was: Legal and business advisory; administrative and accounting advice for clients.

From 2010 to 2014 - I wrote for a long time for a local newspaper also receiving the journalist card and my role was: "Elaboration of Economical and Political articles".

From 2010 to 2014 - I served as co-founder of a student association activities in university projects. This Students Organization that promotes training and meeting / matching between the academic and corporate worlds -Founding Member and Treasurer

2013 I have created a startup in t-shirt which I sold after a year, also gaining money from the sale and in 2014 I have also written a book on money laundering and corporate fraud .

The problem is that I can not connect all these experiences, I feel lost and do not know how to continue.
I would like to do a cover letter that gave interest in those who read it and let me above all to change the name of the company so to use it for various companies. The role that interests me to do the application is investment banking or finance.

Why i choose to do the application for this firm? (1st line) is one of the few companies in your area that can really truly forge talents. Or is i'm apply to...because One of the best banks is always present in the league tables.

The connection with the work experience that I have had and the summer internship for which I am making the application could connect it by saying that in my experience my company was interested in mergers & acquisitions, restructuring of debts of the company, capital increases, accounting etc. I worked in a team of 4-5 people with many companies also by large estates.

Not surprisingly, the investment banking is interested just in: financial advice on mergers and acquisitions, advising on the restructuring of the debt of the company and in the capital increases to include financial services such as project finance, fund management, the trading, asset management, brokering etc. I'd obviously also the part of trading, fund management etc.

Would you please give me a hand? thank you very much.
It helps if you think about one message you want to convey to the reader. What is one piece of information you want the reader to remember? When you know what that phrase or sentence is, it becomes easy to structure the rest of the letter around that central message.

The introduction is a way to prepare the reader to receive the message.
Each paragraph begins with a sentence that supports the message.
The conclusion pushes the message deep into the reader's mind by reviewing it and adding some new dimension to it, etc...

So, the secret is that there really is only one sentence/idea to share with the reader. That's all s/he can remember anyway.

The best strategy might be to share an idea that will intrigue the reader. They will favor you if you are interesting.

When you send this to multiple companies, it's good to add a few sentences to tailor each version to the company to which it's being sent. A little bit of specificity goes a long way.

: ) Good luck with this!
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say, infact I think that i need to change a few pieces if I make the application for various companies. But, unfortunately for two months with the sheet in front of and I can not put down two lines, so I turned to you and I hope that some kind soul can help me.
Okay, at least now I can see where you are coming from. There is actually a simple method of writing a cover letter. I can provide you a template for it that you can use for multiple companies if you want to. The template will only be the basis of your cover letter. You can change the contents as you feel you need to. It is only an example for you to follow. The basic elements of a cover letter for an internship should cover the following information:

1. How you learned about the internship
2. Where you are currently studying and some notable academic accomplishments or academic based experience (theoretical knowledge)
3. Your grade point average
4. The areas of finance where you are most comfortable functioning (in bullet format so that you can immediately attract the attention of the HR reviewer)

5. Your strengths as a worker (team player, able to work unsupervised, etc. )
6. Any relevant part or full time work experience that you have in summary form
7. Copies of your other academic records and accomplishments.

Format this letter as you would any normal business letter. Try to stay within 5 paragraphs / a single page. This is only a summary of the documents you have submitted so it does not have to be very long.

I am looking forward to helping you with the development of your letter. I hope you can post your draft letter here soon so we can continue to guide your progress in preparing the letter :-)
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
I have tried to do this cover letter, this is the best that i could do. Could you please help me? I'm learning the english much better in this period, so if there are same mistakes please help me to improve. Thank you.

Ms. Nikki Darling
Cash Group Finance
123 Nokomis Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35000

Dear Ms. Mikki or To Whom may concern:

I enjoyed speaking with you on Friday, February 15th about internship opportunities at my University or I am writing in response to your advert appeared in the JobGate platform of X University regarding the opportunity to work as an intern in your Debt or to work as internship of Capital Markets Origination team.

[...]
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
this part is wrong: As a sophomore majoring in English
Pedram 2 / 3  
Hello 24mandrake,

I read your cover letter. I think, you should put your contact information in the above right hand of the latter and don't mention in sentences. And also "As a sophomore majoring in English" is not enough to show your interest, reason and eagerness to pursue your internship with Cash Group.

For showing your experience and link them with this application you can use of similar things. For example, your experience is about your major and also this application is related to your major.

" As indicated on the enclosed resume, I have much to offer to Cash Group. I have worked in a consulting group since graduating. This internship have helped me to develop resilience ability to work under pressure, such as with impending deadlines and for prominent clients. The attention for details and the importance of working to real goals. My major always has priority in my life, which interest me to work as a Elaboration of Economical and Political articles writer in a local newspaper for a long time.This position helps me to acquire new skills that lead me to write a book on money laundering and corporate fraud.

I know you can write better than me so its up to you ...

Good Luck!
you
Marco, you developed a pretty good start. Now, let me show you the correct format for this paper in a template version that you can actually wish if you want to, or edit and revise again so we can help you review and prepare the next version better. Here we go:

Ms. Nikki Darling
Cash Group Finance
123 Nokomis Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35000

Dear Ms. Mikki:

I am writing in response to your advertisement which appeared in the JobGate platform of X University regarding the opportunity to work as an intern in your Debt Capital Markets Origination team.

I am very interested in seeking an internship with Cash Group. I possess a strong desire to explore a career in Investment Banking. I have worked as an intern in a consulting group since graduating. This internship helped me to develop resiliency and the ability to work under pressure. I have an uncanny ability for attention to details and the importance of working to achieve real goals. Additionally, my start-up "jobs" have taught me how to interact with a diverse group of people and I have developed vital entrepreneurial skills such as the ability to think innovatively and spot areas for development.

I would appreciate the opportunity to meet in person to share more about my background and the skills I would bring to your company. If you need any additional information, please contact me at 3333333333, or @@@@. I look forward to the opportunity to interview with Cash Group.

Thank you for your consideration.

As for your published work, you can mention it after the paragraph about your interest in Cash Group. Make sure that you highlight the fact that the research you did for the book will help their company spot possible problem areas and the like. Explain how your research knowledge will be an asset as an intern since you expect to do much research work for the regular members of the company. Something along those lines ought to work :-)

I look forward to your next version. I really believe you need only one more editing assistance before the letter is officially ready :-)
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
Thank you to "Pedram" and in particular to "Vangiespen".

First question, for this part: "to work as an intern in your" is it the same things to say "work as internship"? or work as intern as different things?

I should also write a paragraph or a sentence explaining why I want to work in this society rather than in another? If yes, would fit what I wrote above, type because it is a company that forges the talents that is always present in the rankings of the best banks?

In this internship you do write a lot of reports, making economic analysis, analysis of companies, use excel, word, do pitch with Power Point.
So the experience of having written a book on money laundering and fraud in the company, has allowed me to improve my writing skills, increased ability to use office programs with analysis of statistical and perhaps more specifically you can say that it allowed me to address this issue with university professors specialized in combating money laundering and in particular helped me in preparing the book a top expert Italian and also a high official of the GDF (is US is like IRS - Internal Revenue Service but in Italy it is a police force, to understand more: you can find on Wikipedia "Guardia di finanza".

I do not know if this is an important thing in the book or not, that I do not know if these skills are good for a finance company, bank etc. And I do not know if there are other skills that I can write better or not ...

Finally, I read on a finance site that when you have an application as many requests, it is recommended to inquire about the name and surname of the H & R to write it in the header. And in particular, advised to write an email directly to this H & R to make sure that you remember before sending the application to have a better chance ... I do not know, what do you think?

And, if in case I do not find those who send it, how can I write the header? okay: To whom it may concern?

Thanks to all for the helping

- You cannot "work as internship" as the internship is the position identification. You work as an intern. Intern is the classification of your position in the office.

I should also write a paragraph or a sentence explaining why I want to work in this society rather than in another?

- Yes explain to them why you want to work in this environment but do not remind them about information that they already know about their company. That is just a waste of their time. Instead, work on the positive work atmosphere reasons you look forward to participating in.

- These are definitely important point to present. I would approach this paragraph in this manner:
As a published author of the book XXX, I came to polish my use of computer and financial software which is vital in the development of financial reports. Skills such as ( present the skills in bullet form):

* economic analysis
* company analysis
*etc.

Finally, I read on a finance site that when you have an application as many requests, it is recommended to inquire about the name and surname of the H & R to write it in the header.

- Yes, it would be best if you could present the name and position of the person you are addressing the letter to. Revise that part of your letter in your next draft so we can work on improving that introductory statement.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
1) in relation to workplace believe you can use for all companies who send a cover letter, financial and non-financial. I try to draft something like the work environment is challenging, competitive, merit-such as to develop the personal qualities especially relational individual leadership. Standard?

Ms. Nikki Darling
Cash Group Finance
123 Nokomis Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35000

Dear Ms. Mikki:

I am very interested in seeking an internship with Cash Group. I possess a strong desire to explore a career in Investment Banking. I have worked as an intern in a consulting group since graduating. This internship helped me to develop resiliency and the ability to work under pressure. I have an uncanny ability for attention to details and the importance of working to achieve real goals. Additionally, my start-up "jobs" have taught me how to interact with a diverse group of people and I have developed vital entrepreneurial skills such as the ability to think innovatively and spot areas for development. As a published author of the book XXX, I came to polish my use of computer and financial software which is vital in the development of financial reports. Skills such as:

* economic analysis
* company analysis

Thank you for your consideration.

2) perhaps in relation to the book, I would not go much with bullet points to keep in an interview can make me fall on those points, because the analysis that I did have analysis normal, basically I collected data and have them evaluated, but I did not analysis in the first person. What do you think, just as we take away the experience?

3) Ultimately, it is a bit sparse on the company that I'm making the application? Whereas I would use it to various companies, always in the financial field, but not necessarily all in Investment Banking, who advise me to do? Now I do not really know what to write or add another ...

I should add some information about me like this: I am a quick learner, a hard working employee, and someone who always tries to view problems from different perspectives. ?

Thank you.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
For example Goldman Sachs is a meritocracy built on the belief that collaboration, teamwork and integrity create the right environment for our people to deliver the best possible results for our clients.
Marco, if you did not truly do any actual work related research for the book you wrote, perhaps it would be best to omit that for now, but make sure to mention it in your personal information sheet just in case it will have a positive effect on your application. Don't forget that the HR people are on the lookout for interns who can also enhance the working experience of the regular employees and who, in the future can be considered for regular employment. So don't discount the importance of being a published author. Instead, you can mention any actual experience that you have with relevant software programs. Make sure you have used the programs and that you have a degree of expertise in it as it may come in handy in your work as an intern. The cover letter, is just meant to be a summary of the information that you have submitted in document form to the HR of the company. It is not the only basis of your application so do not worry if it is sparse. It is supposed to be short and to the point because it is just a formal introduction of who you are and what they might expect of you. The true analysis of your application comes when they review the documents you presented along with the cover letter. If you have any relevant work experience that can prove your value as an employee (hard work, team player, etc.) then go ahead and present it. Make sure the letter does not become too long though. 3-5 quick paragraphs ought to suffice :-)
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
Yes, in fact I have already mentioned the book in my resume. I might also mention it in the cover letter, but I personally do not know what points I have improved insert besides the fact that I have clearly improved my knowledge of word etc. but they are things that I think that is almost normal as elementary knowledge ... Rather maybe I could say something else on the start-up that I did? A player in Serie A who lives in my town, I sponsored my brand. I know we can not write it? Or we can cite the association of students of which I was the founder with my friends but they are engineers, and that is particularly active in engineering?

Obviously these are all things already written in my resume. Finally, when I do the application for two open positions in the same company, type Finance or Investment Banking, I can write in the cover letter that are interested in both positions, or send two different cover letter changing the header with one of the two positions? I'd like to now get to complete and finalize the cover letter.

And, in relation to workplace believe you can use for all companies who send a cover letter, financial and non-financial. I try to draft something like the work environment is challenging, competitive, merit-such as to develop the personal qualities especially relational individual leadership. Standard? For example: "Goldman Sachs is a meritocracy built on the belief that collaboration, teamwork and integrity create the right environment for our people to deliver the best possible results for our clients". I have to write something like this or not??

Help me to make it perfect. Thanks again.
Listen, an intern needs to have at least a working knowledge of various word processing programs. In your case, a simple knowledge, understanding, and skill in using various finance and accounting programs will also come in handy. So regardless of how little your expertise is in the use of those programs, I strongly suggest that you mention them as part of your office work skills. As for your book, I do not really see how it will be integral to the cover letter since you are not applying to be an intern at a book publishing house. So I would not really opt to mention it in the cover letter. The cover letter should only concentrate on the salient points of your submitted documents. Highlight your qualifications as a worker in bullet form. You can mention the company that sponsored your start up and the skills, skills not lessons, that you learned or acquired during that time. Again, do it in bullet format. This is not supposed to be very long not over informative. You need to rely mostly on the documents that you submitted for the strength of your internship application. The cover letter does not carry any weight at all. It is only a summary of the contents of your other documentations. It need not be over informative. Just concentrate on a summary of the points that you wish to highlight in your application, but not in great detail. this should not be longer than 5 paragraphs of 5 sentences maximum per paragraph. Any longer and you will be writing an essay instead of a letter.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
you know what you mean. but it could help you with something that we could enter, which surely will be fine? currently do not know what to change or modify. I feel lost ...
I am not sure what you mean by

you know what you mean.

. Are you sure you don't mean "I know what you mean?" What you said does not make any sense to me. Why don't you post your revised essay at the moment so we can study it for potential changes or additions? You don't really need to compliment the work ethic or character of the company that you are applying to. That is something that is considered a suck up and will not help your application. There is no sense in telling them something or things that they already know about their company, work ethic, and the like. If those things appeal to you about the company internship program then find another, more creative way to say it. Personally, I believe that what you want to add to the cover letter is overkill. However, if you really want to add it to the paper and you believe it will help your application, then go ahead and add it. I'll help you fit it into the letter.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
I'm so sorry, but i make wrong to write that. I wanted to write, I understand what you mean... :-)

The cover letter is not overkill for me, but is too hard to do by myself :-(

Technically, to this cover letter what should I add or change in your opinion? What is missing?

Starting again from this, that I seemed to be on the right track. Advise me what to do...Thanks a lot
In my honest opinion, I believe that this current version of your cover letter works very well with the exception of one part. In the portion where you say you worked with a particular company, I would like you to mention the name of the company in order to create a notable piece of information about you in the letter. By doing that, you will be able to inform the human resources person that you may very well be an excellent candidate for this internship. Like I said, the cover letter should only contain a summary of the most important information about you. That includes and notable company or work experience that you have. I think that is the only addition left that is required to make the letter ready to use. It is concise, delivers your interest in the position, and closes with an offer to continue the discussion of your potential internship in a formal environment. That all works for your letter at this point. There is nothing more to add aside from the company name :-)
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
Thanks a lot.

maybe I could add something to me in the second paragraph, to give more emphasis to the role that I have chosen for the application. like, as a child I was interested in the financial world and this has allowed me to analyze things deeply...

For example i found this guide on internet, how can use it for my cover letter?

The first paragraph should describe what your current professional situation is and why you are applying for the position. This paragraph should also include any research you have done into the role or organisation, including anyone you have spoken to, any site visits you have undertaken and the name of anyone who may have referred you. If you have taken the time to research the organisation and the role, this could be a key differentiator for your application. However, you should avoid making generic statements, such as "I want to join your esteemed company". Make sure anything you say about an organisation is relevant to them and based on the research you have undertaken.

And... Should i change "uncanny" with "strong"? Because i think that uncanny could be exaggerated?!

Last things: I would like to send my candidature to some companies that haven't open positions, how can I write in the email accompanying and how can I change the first part of the cover letter?

thanks again for the precious help!
No, do not speak of any childhood interests or ambitions. Listen, you are mistaking a cover letter for a common app essay for college. You are not trying to get into college, you are trying to get an unpaid job at a company in exchange for work experience. Those are two different areas of study. One is formal and academic, the other, formal and professional. They have no interest in your childhood dreams, hopes, and ambitions. Do not change the letter. It is really usable as it is. The more you overthink it, the more you try to revise it, the worse your letter will eventually become. Just deliver the facts that they need to gain an interest in considering your other documents, that is all the letter is for. Nothing more, nothing less. As for applying to companies that do not have open internships, do not bother to send an application, they get thousands of unsolicited application letters for closed positions on a daily basis. Those letters end up in one of two places, a drawer for "future consideration" or in the "trash", Neither of which is a good place for an application you worked hard upon. Your letter will just end up at the bottom of the pile and be all but forgotten. Don't send unsolicited application letters. It does not do anything except give you a sense of frustration.
OP 24mandrake 1 / 12  
Ok. So ultimately I will use this cover letter if you tell me that it is perfect.

As for the self-application help me the same, because I want to try the same because I know a couple of financial institutions that do not have their own page carrers on their site, but I want to try the same:-D.

How can I write the cover letter to make this self-nomination? And how can I write in the mail when I accompany your CV and cover letter?

Many thanks as always.
The letter you developed is good enough to use. Go ahead and use it in the latest version form. You cannot submit a generic self nomination letter to these companies because their requirements for each position under their company will vary. The best thing for you to do is research the needs of the company, their background, and the qualifications that the people currently working for them have. From there, you can develop new, individualized letters of application that may or may not catch their attention. Like I said, unsolicited letters do not get very far in the companies but if you insist, then you need to write specific letters for each company. If you can write a new letter per company and post it as a new thread here individually (one company, one letter, one thread), then we can continue to help you formulate effective letters for them.

Home / Letters / Making a cover letter for summer internship in finance - someone with some experience?