Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Master Environment and Energy Management Motivation letter

vincdels 1 / -  
Hello!!

I am applying for a Master of Environment and Energy Management at the University of Twente. Please help me improve my motivation letter by proofreading my motivation letter below.

Master Environment and Energy Management Motivation Letter

I believe as long as the technology develops, the mining industry will continue to operate since the raw materials for making technology tools only can be obtained through mining activities. However, each process of mining activity leads to environmental damage that becomes one of the major causes of an environmental issue and threatens our place of living. Therefore, the future of the sustainability of our environment relies on an innovative solution in the management of natural resources, which needs to be sustainable to prevent environmental damage and minimize pollution. After 18 months of working in coal and nickel exploration, I got the opportunity to closely observe how the mining industry operates and realize that poor regulation and management of mined land is the root of environmental damage and pollution in the mining industry. For example, poor reclamation management often leads to abandoned mined land and chemical waste contaminating the local area. With my in-depth knowledge and strong fundamentals in natural resources features gained from my work experience, I expect to broaden my knowledge and technical skills in sustainable management to develop a circular model for managing the mining industry to overcome sustainability challenges.

The Master Environment and Energy Management provides adequate theoretical and practical knowledge in environment and energy management and sustainability law and policy. These skillsets have been an inevitable requirement for my future career goal as a Sustainable Environment Consultant or entrepreneur as it helps create solutions to tackle environmental issue. At the MEEM, I prepare to choose environment management as my specialization knowledge while preparing for my thesis project. I plan to research the feasibility study of mined land as an agro-mining potential using metal crops (hyperaccumulator plant species for biomass harvesting and incineration to recover valuable metals) as my master thesis topic. Learning energy management is also a perfect addition to my knowledge since it aligns with my future endeavor. The impact of energy management can reduce overall demand for energy use and improve our environment quality by reducing pollution from energy use. Through these courses and hands-on research, I will achieve practical and in-depth knowledge related to Environment Management and help me to become a prominent Sustainable Environment Consultant or entrepreneur. Studying at the University of Twente will be a life-changing experience as I will have the opportunity to develop personally and professionally in an international atmosphere. I am attracted to the University of Twente because this university is known as no.3 in global innovation and the best technical university in Netherland.

My academic and professional experiences illustrate that I can achieve future academic success and fit in this program. During my 4-year study in Geological Engineering at the Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB), I graduated with a cum laude predicate (GPA 3.56/4.00), top 10% of my class. My thesis project focused on studying modern tsunami deposits based on combined statistics, chemical features, and micropaleontology implementations. I was a laboratory assistant in environmental geology and field geology. Related to organizational activities, I was appointed as the Head Coordinator by the Indonesian National Geology Student Committee to manage more than 100 Geological students from Indonesia to conduct geological hazard mapping for landslides. These experiences drew the attention of the Chancellor since only a few students have balanced academic and organizational qualities in ITB, and I was honored as one of three "Most Inspirational Students" at my graduation ceremony. After graduating, I was chosen as the youngest Communication Director in ITB alumni Association as an appreciation of my contribution as a youth promoter in the ITB Alumni chairman election. I started my professional career as an exploration geologist. My main task in coal and nickel exploration is leading and managing a team to find a prospective area of the mineral resource. As an exploration geologist, using geostatistic implementation and analyzing the chemical and physical features of soils or rocks using laboratories analysis or geophysical tools is mandatory to improve the data accuracy. For example, I use LoI (Loss on Ignition) and XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence) to determine bedrock, gamma-ray data to analyze grain size, and kriging geostatistic methods to interpolate the 3D geological model. These opportunities have provided me with in-depth knowledge of geological features and enriched my capabilities to collaborate and deliver ideas effectively in different work environments. Furthermore, my professional work experiences make me accustomed to adapting to a new environment as I used to work in a remote area with people from various backgrounds.

Studying in the MEEM program will allow me to explore specialized fields in environmental sustainability. After completing the MEEM Program, I plan to have more professional experience in managing the environment and energy in Netherland. I will expand my network and collaborate with professionals to solve sustainability challenges with circular model management or a new business model. After five years of working as a professional in the Netherland, I plan to return to Indonesia with my accumulated knowledge working as a Sustainable Environment Consultant or an entrepreneur. In Indonesia, I will genuinely try to help my country achieve United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by developing a circular model for mining companies in Indonesia. Furthermore, with my strategic position as communication director in ITB Alumni Association, I will extend my influence beyond the professional domain by embedding my expertise in promoting a sustainable mindset in social work and exploring social issues from within.
I would have to say that the writer over-developed the content of the letter to the point where it crossed into the statement of purpose category. By including his detailed academic background and thesis / research plans, he has altered the reference points of the letter. I am making this assumption without knowing if these are required elements of the letter. There were no writing specifics included in the post. In the absence of these guidelines, basic motivation letter requirements will apply.

The first and last paragraphs may be used without changes. Only half the second paragraph can be used. Remove the study plan and possible thesis topic discussion to keep the presentation aligned with a motivational statement.

The motivation is strong and qualified for the course. However, the information should also include an explanation as to why the student is motivated to study abroad and in that university. These do not appear as a part of the motivational considerations when it should be highlighted in a stand-alone paragraph.

Home / Letters / Master Environment and Energy Management Motivation letter