Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Master Germany Computational Engineering - has to answer to questions why FAU and why this subject

denisa bv 1 / 1  

Letter of Motivation for the Master's Programme:

Computational Engineering, TAF - Solid Mechanics and Dynamics

Dear Sir or Madam,
I would hereby like to apply for the master's programme Computational Engineering- Solid Mechanics and Dynamics at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg for the 2019 winter semester. I am currently a student of Industrial Design in a bachelor's programme at the Transilvania University Brasov, Romania.

Mathematics and technology have fascinated me as long as I can remember. It has been a dream of mine to one day develop something pioneering and unprecedented. That's the reason why I have decided to study Industrial Design, to get a closer by insight in an innovative technology and the possibility to work on outstanding industrial research topics.

Being a part of a renowned computer science college for four years has allowed me to gain deeper and wider knowledge in the field of informatics. Having courses on subjects like C++, C#, and Oracle helped me to develop a very structured and logical way of thinking.

The syllabus of my bachelor studies includes physics, mechanical science, material science, electrical engineering, applied electronics, fluid dynamics, finite element method and numerical methods in engineering. In my studies, computer-aided technologies and the linear finite element method have sparked my interest the most.To increase the knowledge that I had acquired on the finite element method I participated in a two-week extracurricular course in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium. The main objective of the course was to use Python to execute calculations and generate finite element meshes.

Furthermore, I worked as an intern at the Innovation Think Tank department at Siemens Healthineers in Erlangen, Germany. The department specialises in the field of technology and innovation, which gave me the opportunity to gain experience in these fields.

I believe that in our days mechanical simulations are an irreplaceable part of industrial design and the manufacturing process. Integrating FEM into the product development gives a better understanding of the general design. All these experiences encouraged me to strive for a master's programme in computational science and applied mathematics. When I learned about the course in Computational Engineering- Solid Mechanics and Dynamics with the key subjects linear and nonlinear finite element methods at the Friedrich-Alexander-University, I was sure that this course could further increase my knowledge and experience on the subject.

In my master degree programme, I would like to combine my spirit of discovery and thirst for knowledge by studying abroad. Germany is my country of choice because of its outstanding educational system. I am looking forward to experience the way university research and teaching is conducted in Germany. I believe that the problem-based learning ethic of the Friedrich-Alexander-University will give me the chance to apply already acquired knowledge as well as widen it and help me learn new, important soft skills for my future career. Apart from academics, I have always had a passion for travelling and getting to know different cultures and countries. Having already experienced the vibrant and diverse metropolitan region of Erlangen- Nürnberg through my time as an intern at Siemens Healthineers I have learned to appreciate the city and its population. I would very much like to experience life and the culture this city has to offer, from studying for my exams in the central library to riding the bicycle every day through the city.

In a summary, I would like to study Computational Engineering- Solid Mechanics and Dynamics at the Friedrich-Alexander-University to increase my knowledge in this field, apply what I have learned and experience the German educational lifestyle, culture and nature. Germany's geographic location and current economic strength attract industry experts from around the world. With the notion of idea-sharing in mind, this would be a perfect ground to establish the next step of my professional career. I believe firmly that your university offers the perfect blend of courses that will offer a solid foundation for my future career. My desire is to improve my expertise and progress in my favorite field. It is accompanied by the wish to become an engineer with a broad knowledge of the fundamental physical principles involved in solving and analyzing design problems, as well as the mathematical and computational tools required to solve them.

I will be happy to provide any further information or documents if required. I look forward to your positive response. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours faithfully,
Maria - / 1,098 389  
A couple of notes on capitalization. Master's and Bachelor's should be capitalized alongside the word Winter Semester (primarily because this is indicative of a formal setting for the academic calendar).

Regarding your essay's content, while I appreciate that you have attempted to give as much background information as you possibly can, it would also be beneficial if you delve more into the personal side of the story. Your second paragraph contained a glimpse of this; it would be appreciated if you could expound it further.

The first half of the essay also appears to be messy. I recommend merging together paragraphs with similar content to have more direction and flow.

The rest of the essay is quite decent and sufficient.

Best of luck to your application!
OP denisa bv 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will try to implement it as best I can. Have a great week!

Home / Letters / Master Germany Computational Engineering - has to answer to questions why FAU and why this subject