Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Material Engineering and Nanotechnology - Motivation Letter for Master degree

Nicole007 1 / -  

applying for the Master's program at Politecnico di Milano

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is xxxxxx, and I would like to express my interest in applying for the Master's program in Material Engineering and Nanotechnology at Politecnico di Milano, which is scheduled to start in September 2022.

I am from Ecuador, and in 2016 I was awarded a full scholarship to study abroad, which only 0.1% of Ecuadorian students nationwide have obtained. Thanks to this great opportunity, I graduated from the University of Twente (2021), one of the top-ranked universities in The Netherlands, with a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Science and Engineering. During the last year of undergraduate study, I worked as a Teacher Assistant for first-year Chemical Science and Engineering students in the same University and department.

A couple of reasons motivate me to apply for a Master's degree study in Material Engineering and Nanotechnology. Firstly, throughout my undergraduate studies, I learned about the efforts of scientists, researchers, engineers, and technicians to develop and implement the innovation of materials. Having entered the University with no clear understanding of what materials engineering study entails, my interest grew as I was exposed to several concepts and materials. The study of ¨Quantum Mechanics of Atoms and Molecules¨, ¨Structure and Properties of Materials¨, ¨Nanochemistry¨, and ¨Organic & bio-organic chemistry¨ which demonstrated to me how the structure of materials might be adjusted to create desired properties even in nanoscale, triggered an irrevocable thirst for understanding of material design and selection.

I am a diligent, intelligent, and hard-working woman with a penchant for research. These skills led me to be part of the Inorganic Material Science research group at the University of Twente during my Bachelor's assignment, where I developed a project on 'Optimized Langmuir-Blodgett deposition of nanosheets and its influence as growth template on the properties of P b(Zr0.52T i0.48)O3'. This experience pushed me to pursue my postgraduate study in material science and related study area.

Complementing my strong academic formation are my advanced skills in team working, leadership, and communication. My love for knowledge motivated me to enroll in the Learning Assistant program, a professional training course in the teaching area, which equipped me to be a tutor. The study consisted of a theory part and practical training directed at students in group projects. I was appointed as the Team tutor, and my responsibilities included group organization, distribution of team roles, and providing students with a clear report structure.

However, due to my experience in material science and nanotechnology, I realized that my knowledge is still insufficient in many areas. Because my country, Ecuador, has not made such significant strides in these industries, my goal is to contribute to its technological progress. In this context, I have decided to pursue a profession as a researcher to develop new production processes, develop technologies and applications at the nanoscale. It is well-known that Italy is one of the best countries in Europe, where there are several best universities. My desire to pursue my postgraduate study emanates not only from this but also from the similarities in academic organization between my undergraduate studies in the Netherlands and Italy. I believe your top-level program will provide me with a deep understanding of material science for engineering application, material design, development of nanoscale industry, and manufacturing techniques, which I am particularly interested in. I am confident in my decision. With numerous eminent scientists as lecturers, I am confident that I will receive expert knowledge at cutting-edge discoveries.

Given my commitment to excellence in the past, I am convinced that I will bring a high level of energy and passion to your program. Because of my academic and interpersonal qualities and my experience as a teacher assistant, I am certain that I will exceed your expectations. I will provide value to the program by allowing fellow students and lecturers to benefit from my ambitious and open personality. Moreover, my foreign experience and multidisciplinary education will add to the richness of your program.

Thank you for your time to consider my application. Hoping to hear from you soon

Sincerely yours,
Do not confuse the personal statement with the motivation letter. The motivation letter can be completed between 3-5 paragraphs because of its focused content presentation.

Paragraph 1 - Introduction : You may use the presentation you have now but do not use the second paragraph.

Paragraph 2 - Professional Motivation: There is no representation of your relevant professional skills. I do not see the relevance of a teaching assistant position to the masters program. Not unless a career change in terms of lab work or research is in the offing ? Create a more relevant and connected career presentation.

Paragraph 3 - Academic Motivation: Why do you want togo back to academic studies at this time? Adjusting the content of paragraph 6 may help you accomplish this.

Paragraph 4 - Personal Motivation: Why study in Italy? What reasons motivated the decision? Do not use tourism as a reason. Do not use language learning either. You may open with

My desire to pursue my postgraduate study emanates not only from this but also from the similarities in academic organization between my undergraduate studies in the Netherlands and Italy.

However, the rest of the presentation cannot be used due to empty, over-generalized reasons that do not use stand out reasons for the choice. change all of it.

The last paragraph should be a strong reference to committing to the studies at the university. All other aspects you presented in this version is not motivation related. My outline of paragraph content should help get you on track with your revision/ 2nd draft.

Home / Letters / Material Engineering and Nanotechnology - Motivation Letter for Master degree