Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Max 300 words in which you describe why you would like to attend the programme you have chosen

AbdulJabbar 1 / -  
My essay is already 343 words, I would really need a help to trim it. plus, any suggestions about how can I improve this essay by taking out or adding something to it is more than welcome?

motivation letter to University of Amsterdam

Here it begins:

"Ever since I can recollect, I have been profoundly fascinated by the application of numbers and the insight they provide us into the workings of this world, a primary example of this being their application in the realms of Economics.

I don't believe that it would be a stretch to call efficient Economics an antidote to some of the major ills of this world, namely poverty and starvation, through the efficient allocation of resources. This notion coupled with the dire straits that my home country, Pakistan, finds itself it makes me yearn for revolutionary economic reform. Bearing this in mind this desire along with my command over economics and all things numbers, I find economics to be a subject tailor-made for myself.

Studying the online course of MITx Microeconomics at Edx has equipped me with essential intuition, and analytical skills to resolve problem sets while adapting the approach of world-class faculty towards this subject was thrilling, to say the least. As of this course, as I know what the classroom of the University of Amsterdam awaits. My interests related to economics require me to grasp the deep roots of this subject, which is through a persistent studying till any masters or doctorate level. Being indecisive at the moment, I can benefit from the excellent Academic career path, with multiple options to acquire interdisciplinary approach as well.

The most important thing after all the University of Amsterdam can offer to me is the quality of life, which is undoubtedly vital for my personal development. I will have the opportunity to communicate with people from across the globe, each bringing their own unique culture and thought process from their respective countries. Living in the student-friendly Amsterdam as part of my studies would also allow me to wander deeper into the Dutch language which would definitely thrill my inquisitive mind.

A myriad of related factors has made me apply to the Economics and business Bachelors. It is best suited for me, and that will help me pursue my intended career, without any hindrances"
Abdul, the first paragraph of your motivational letter is not necessary. You can skip that presentation because the motivational letter has nothing to do with your childhood fanciful thoughts. The motivation letter should instead, reflect a summary of your statement of purpose. That means, you have to indicate, in summary form, the basis of your interest in this advanced course of study and why you believe graduating from this course will help you in the performance of your professional tasks. In addition to that, you need to indicate an academic, rather than social reason for your choice of university. Remember, you are not in Amsterdam to socialize, you are there to study. While personal development is important, that should only be secondary to your academic interests and practical training in this field. If you revise the essay to cover the needed changes and proper discussions, you should see an instant reduction in your word count.

Home / Letters / Max 300 words in which you describe why you would like to attend the programme you have chosen